Struggling — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Struggling

kas2707
kas2707 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
So im only 21 and i really struggle when i need walking aids as i feel like people just stare and i dont need them very often as i like to try and fight my issues but how can i fight how i feel because im making myself suffer 

Comments

• EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    Hi @kas2707
    Sorry to hear you are struggling and that you feel people are staring - have you ever considered having cognitive behavioural therapy as it can be useful for addressing how you think because as you point out yourself the way you think can have a big impact on how you feel [and behave].
    You could ask your GP to refer you.
    In the meanwhile be aware that when people look at you you don't actually KNOW for sure what they are thinking... this is what's known as an unhelpful thinking habit, you might find this webpage interesting and useful:
    https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/unhelpful.htm
    All the best.
    Emma
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kas2707 and welcome to the community! Sorry to hear how you're feeling, you remind me of myself when I first became disabled and started using a walking stick.

I put off using one for months, because I was fixated on what other people would think - I didn't give any consideration to how much I needed this mobility aid. The turning point for me, was when I knew I was putting myself at risk.

To begin with, it does feel strange to have something to rely on, but that's what are mobility aids are for - to help us. I know it's easier said than done but you need to try and push the bad thoughts away.

People who know you, will understand. Those who don't, their opinions don't matter.

It'll be OK :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Rjb1982
    Rjb1982 Community member Posts: 6 Connected
      hi @kgs2707 and welcome. i am :) to hear that you struggle  there someone i know that has similar issues he has a walking frame and has no problem. but even with my own disability i even sometimes have people walk into me so they don't understand. but keep your sprits up maybe you could hire a mobiillty scooter if you feel you need one but keep smiling   :) hope you get on fine just take your time and good luck
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kas2707 and a very warm welcome to the community. I'm sorry your mobility aids have made you feel like this. I too am 21 years old and started using a walking stick when I was 15. Well, I had a walking stick folded up in my bag from the age of 15 and started using it regularly about a year later.

I appreciate how difficult it can be and I certainly confused my fellow peers. My message to my younger self is always that a walking stick is no use if it's in my bag. I have found over the years that I need to do what is best for my body, and if this means using a stick to manage pain and fatigue then so be it.

If you look at the hashtag #BabeWithAMobilityAid on Twitter or Instagram then there are loads of other young people who are absolutely rocking their aids! I know it has personally helped me to see these kind of photos on my timeline. :) 
    Scope

Brightness