Reconsider request I am shocked — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reconsider request I am shocked

happyman
happyman Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
ok so I went for my pip assessment and when I received the report I was shocked. There were so many lies in the report and half truths it was like someone else had gone for the assessment. 

As as a result of all the lies which includes saying I did some tests that I did not do I received no points. When I told my doctors and the nurses who look after me they were shocked. 

I have also also been suffering from stress and depression and was diagnosed for ptsd many years ago. The assessor said to me if you are that depressed then why have you not killed yourself. 

Alrhough i did is not want to do a reconsider request my medical team convinced me to do it. I was advised to contact my mp regarding it and their assistant said we are receiving lots of complaints over reports being false. This MP however has never publicly said anything about it. They said they would write to p I p over the false report

so nearly two months later after sending a detailed letter pointing out why the report was wrong and how things affect me and sending it by recorded delivery, today I receive a text message saying they have received a request to look at my case again. It also said it will take ten weeks to look at this. 

I would like to know why it had taken so long for them to get back to me. The mp assistant has said that most people get turned down on the reconseration request and I would have to go on the next stage which could take a further year 

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2019
    There are huge backlogs at the moment which is why everything is taking so long to be processed.  That text is just a standard one though, there aren't any timescales in reality...

They are correct in that only a small percentage have the decision changed at Mandatory Reconsideration and most people have to go on to tribunal which also have massive backlogs at the moment, hence the long wait.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

There may have just been a delay with sending the text, which can happen. Hopefully it won't be too long for a decision. Sadly, only 15% of MR decisions change, so expect to have to take it to Tribunal.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • happyman
    I just wished I recorded the assessment like my daughter told me to. My advice for anyone going for an assessment is to secretly record the assessment. This way those who lie through their teeth on the reports can be proven to be liars and sacked
  • poppy123456
    I definitely do not recommend that anyone secretly records any face to face assessment. If they catch you doing this then your assessment could be stopped, your file returned to DWP and you'll very likely be refused that benefit.

If you want to record an assessment i'd advise everyone to get permission to do this and use the appropiate recording equipment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @happyman - why do you want to make a covert recording?

Could you just not tell the assessment provider that you wish to record the interview and do it legitimately?
  • happyman
    I definitely do not recommend that anyone secretly records any face to face assessment. If they catch you doing this then your assessment could be stopped, your file returned to DWP and you'll very likely be refused that benefit.

If you want to record an assessment i'd advise everyone to get permission to do this and use the appropiate recording equipment.
    Sorry but I disagree with you. This is the only way to route out these liars and have them sacked for lying. Hundreds and hundreds of people are suffering because some assessors are lying on the reports. This is the only way that people will have proof that they were lying. If you appeal and say the assessor was lying who are they going to believe, it won't be you. By routing out these liars it will allow a fairer system where there are only honest assessors 
  • happyman
     said:
    @happyman - why do you want to make a covert recording?

Could you just not tell the assessment provider that you wish to record the interview and do it legitimately?
    To route out the dishonest assessors. Lots of people are losing their benefits because of assessors who are falsifying reports. If you show them you are recording them then they will not lie but they will then lie on the next persons report. By secretly recording them and then reporting them they can then be sacked and only honest assessors will be employed 
  • cristobal
    @happyman - OK. Personally I'd concentrate my efforts on trying to ensure that my claim is successful rather than getting someone sacked...

Good luck anyway with your MR...
  • poppy123456
    Then record it correctly using the correct equipment this way you don't put anything at risk. I'm sorry but advising people to record their assessment covertly is bad advice. I've said all i'm going to say about this and will make no further comments.
  • happyman
    cristobal said:
    @happyman - OK. Personally I'd concentrate my efforts on trying to ensure that my claim is successful rather than getting someone sacked...

Well maybe that is what is wrong with this country everyone loos after themselves instead of think of others. By cleaning the system up and removing the dishonest assessors then thousands of people would not have to go through the suffering they do and have to spend a year or so fighting for what's right 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    happyman said:
    cristobal said:

Well maybe that is what is wrong with this country everyone loos after themselves instead of think of others. By cleaning the system up and removing the dishonest assessors then thousands of people would not have to go through the suffering they do and have to spend a year or so fighting for what's right 
    @happyman perhaps you should check your posts before posting them as your last post sounds pretty rude to someone just trying to help. 
  • RikiM
    RikiM Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Hi,

I'm new to all this and in my first pip interview the lady twisted the truth in everything I said. In the end I won my first stage appeal, which was rightly so. 

What I don't understand is, why are these interviews not recorded anyway? Surely it would stop all this nonsense with mistrust and appeals. We are recorded in everyday life, you can't even make a phone call to businesses without hearing messages that they are doing so for training purposes or other reasons....so why not make it mandatory?

I'm not a bright spark but even I can see the sense in that. 
  • happyman
    They should be recorded as standard to stop the lying. This is why police interviews and other interviews are recorded to stop false lies. 

I read an an article today where a woman got turned down for pip because the assessor lies about everything. However lucky for her she secretly recorded the assessment which showed the sensor had lied lots of times on the report. 

The bigger question is, why are these assessors lying, what do they get out of lying. Is it a bonus, the promise to keep their job or what. There must be some reason why hundreds of people each week are reading reports with lots of lies 
  • cristobal
    edited December 2019
    @RikiM - this come up every now and again - (and usually ends in an argument (!) )

I believe that quite a lot of people don't like being interviewed on tape (both claimants & staff) I think that DWP are reluctant to compel people to be interviewed on tape (but I'm not certain) unlike the police where you have no choice if you get nicked...

Personally I don't think it's a wonder solution anyway. (my opinion)

People will be moaning if there is the slightest discrepancy between what they say and what is in the report. There will be lot's of complaints about stuff that doesn't matter.

It will take a lot longer. Every claim will take twice as long and there's a long enough wait as it is..

In any event what you say doesn't always mean that you will be awarded PIP .If I say "I can't walk 10 metres" does this mean I get PIP. No, because it depends on lots of factors and, crucially, the opinion of the assessor when they have all of the evidence. 

Just my opinion - someone else may be able to shed light on why interviews aren't recorded
  • happyman
    My GP said she hates the idea of not having someone properly qualified doing the assessment and says it annoys her that they don't contact them for details on the patient. 

I have a team team of six that deal with my situation which includes two doctors and they have said they were shocked with the report. But they also said they are hearing the same story each week and something needs to be changed 
  • RikiM
    RikiM Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    edited December 2019
    Hi, 

@cristobal

No need for a argument, we can beg to differ. Your view is as important as the next persons. ??

With my mental health issues I don't like the idea that I'm being recorded during a phone call but I get on with it. The same with knowing I was going to be recorded in a pip interview.

I'd rather go through that anyday than the stress and anxiety I have been through with my pip application the last several months. That's how I see it but everybody is different.

If it was in place, those who do not want to be recorded should be able to opt out. At least then there maybe only a small amount of appeals to deal with compared to how many they do under this system. Simple really. 
  • therase
    therase Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    Im in the same boat with PIP , they didnt listen to me and they lied in my report . Im so anxious as i will be losing so much money i dont know how i can afford to live . ..Its pushed me to the very edge , makes me feel guilty for living . 
  • cristobal
    @therase - I'm sorry to hear that. You don't say what stage you're at but can I suggest:-

If you've just had the decision, ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration.

Tell them why you think you should get PIP, what activities you can't do, which you need help with etc.

The activities and 'descriptors' (the categories that the assessor uses to decide what points you get) are available on-line. Look at these so that you and the DWP are 'singing from the same songsheet'...

Don't feel you're on your own - ask on here if you need more help...

Good luck!
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    I think you might have legal problems if you record anyone without their knowledge happy man. I can fully understand your thinking .The way your thinking is not only for yourself but for others who follow you....although , if people record carers mistreating the person they are caring for , they would be sacked at the very least . 
    I hate to say it but since a certain iron lady ( I use the word  'lady' very loosely ) . Beat everyone in to submission and broke the will of the working class then I,m afraidnthis society is now based on ' f*** you jock , I,m ok " ....no more communities ...coming from a mining community I watched what happened ....divide and conquer .
    I would advise you to get your own quarter sorted out and then you might be able to help others in the same position . Thank God for people like you , willing to put their own neck on the line to help others....but you must get yourself sorted out first in my view ...we have had " divide and conquer from the 80,s ...selling council houses was a great way to divide the  working class , people who bought their council houses had signed up to " not being able to strike " otherwise they might well lose their house ...we are now being told employment is the highest it's been for many years ....of course this includes people who have lost the change from DLA to PIP,  it also includes zero hours contracts , I saw 16 year olds standing in the pouring rain ( soaking wet)dressed in dominoes suits waving and smiling at all the people going by in the cars ...for £4 an hour ....that's a disgrace in one of the richest countries in the world . I know one 16 year old that has to take his uniform everywhere he goes in case the boss of the fast food burger place wants him in to help out at busy times ....if he does not turn up where and when he is told he loses his ' job's.....its time to move on from austerity and get people decent wages ...I also know people who are working but their wage is so low they cannot manage without foodbanks .....Time for change I believe , where people try to look after others and like to help in the community ....good luck with your appeal happyman ?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.