First pip assesment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

First pip assesment

louise1985
louise1985 Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
good afternoon 

I don’t know if anyone can help me I recently went for my first pip assessment it wasn’t as scary as I thought the lady was lovely had read through my notes and knew quite a lot about my medical conditions,she didn’t ask me to do to much physically was really just how my conditions affected me

at the end of the meeting she said her report would take about 4 weeks but slightly longer with the Christmas period but she said something that really confused me that I would be reviewed in 18months?? 

I haven’t been awarded pip and don’t know if I will so why they review me in 18months??

any help would be good Thankyou 

Comments

• louise1985
    good afternoon 

I don’t know if anyone can help me I recently went for my first pip assessment it wasn’t as scary as I thought the lady was lovely had read through my notes and knew quite a lot about my medical conditions,she didn’t ask me to do to much physically was really just how my conditions affected me

at the end of the meeting she said her report would take about 4 weeks but slightly longer with the Christmas period but she said something that really confused me that I would be reviewed in 18months?? 

I haven’t been awarded pip and don’t know if I will so why they review me in 18months??

any help would be good Thankyou 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,343 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

She shouldn't have said anything related to that at all because it's not her job to do that and you should take it with a pinch of salt, so to speak.

There's no timescales for decisions, it depends on backlogs in your area. If you live in the UK, wait a week and ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report, even though you'll still need to wait for the decision. If you're not happy once the decision's been made you'll have 1 month from that date to request the Mandatory Reconsideration.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Bryan
    Bryan Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi if you’ve been refused,appeal immediately. This can be done over the phone and usually are successful 
    let me know how you get on
  • poppy123456
    Bryan said:
    Hi if you’ve been refused,appeal immediately. This can be done over the phone and usually are successful 
    let me know how you get on
    HI,

louise hasn't been refused because no decision's been made yet. Also the first step to appeal is the MR and only 15% of those decision's change, which means most people usually have to take it to Tribunal.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • louise1985
    Still waiting a decision just found it very bizarre as I know my conditions will get worse 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you requested a copy of the report ?
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • louise1985
    I only went for my assessment on Tuesday 3rd dec 
  • poppy123456
    The 18 months doesn't mean anything at all and you shouldn't speculate anything at this point.
  • DuffersMum
    DuffersMum Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    On my assessment report the nurse who assessed me suggested review in 18 months...in my decision letter it was stated review in 2022, a further 8 months from what was recommended by assessor (who also got almost everything wrong as well) ??‍♀️
  • louise1985
    U don’t have to answer but have u been awarded pip? 
  • poppy123456
    The 18 months that she told you doesn't mean anything at all because people have this recommendation even when there's no award recommended. I'm not saying the decision won't go in your favour so don't think that because no can speculate anything at this stage.

All you can do is request a copy of the assessment report a week after the assessment. Once you receive this you'll be able to compare the dots next to the activities/descriptors in the report against the PIP descriptors online and work out what points you may have scored.Then you'll have some idea whether there will be an award or not.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @louise1985. Best of luck with your claim, I hope the decision is quick and in your favour. Please let us know how you get on. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • louise1985
    Thankyou Adrian I got a text Tuesday to say they had received my medical report and a decision would be made in 6 weeks 
  • poppy123456
    The 6 weeks is just a guide because there's no timescales for any decision. Backlogs are just part of the reason a decision can be delayed. With Christmas and New year closing days coming up then backlogs will increase, making waiting times for decisions longer than usual.

Now they've received the report you can ring to request a copy to be sent to you, this will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.
  • louise1985
    Thanks poppy I rang them a week after my assessment to request a copy of my report when the lady checked it hadn’t been sent back yet as she normally said it takes a week to get the report back but made a note on the system when it does come back they will post it out to me it took just over 2 weeks for my report to get back 
  • poppy123456
    No problem. I'd ring again tomorrow, if it was me because very often they don't put notes on the computer for things like this and you may find they haven't sent it.
  • louise1985
    Thankyou poppy I’ll give them a call tomorrow as totally new to the process as when I had my assessment for universal credit they didn’t make me go for an interview they read my medical notes and made a decision ?
  • louise1985
    I spoke to Dwp again to ask them to send my medical report through they said it had gone to a case manager on the 18th dec and I should receive a decision before 1st feb 

when I went for my assessment the lady was very clued on my medical conditions and read through all my notes she even shocked me and told me something I didn’t know...to cut a long story short it worried me what she so I made an appointment with my gp,when I saw my gp the other day he said he didn’t what I asked him and would have to ask my consultant I told him I had been for a medical assessment but he said there was nothing on my records and they will have gone off my hospital records should I be concerned they haven’t contacted my gp? 

Sorry this whole process is confusing me 
  • poppy123456
    They very rarely contact anyone for any evidence. The onus is on you to make sure you send relevant evidence to support your claim to prove you qualify.

Are they sending the report out to you? This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be. If you're not happy once the decision is made you'll have 1 month from that date to request the MR.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.