Help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help

tara2019
tara2019 Community member Posts: 234 Pioneering
Hi I applied for pip nov 2018 waiting for appeal date which will be a yr april 2020 dwp offered standard but I've not accepted my question is I've been in my job for 28yr work have been very supportive changed my role and since 2015 have taking 26 weeks off sick every yr since due to my disabilitys mental health and mobility I live on only my part time wage which is 850 a month have no pip yet and uc give me nothing but as iam worsening think I'm gonna have to give up work for ever cant do it no more what do I claim cant live on no money as I live on my own can someone advise me what I can claim thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,937 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

The reason you're not entitled to any UC is because most likely your wages reduce it to zero. May i ask if you own your home of rent it?

What you could claim will depend on your circumstances. Have you claimed SSP at all this year? Do you live with a partner that works? If you've paid enough NI Contributions in the previous 2 tax years you maybe able to claim New style ESA but this is only £73.10 per week. If you haven't paid enough then the only other benefit you can claim will be UC.

If you can answer my questions above then i'll help you further.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Hi @tara2019,

If you have been earning £850 per month for the past two years then you will probably qualify for New Style ESA if you give up work.

I see from your message that you live alone. If the NSESA was your only income then you would probably be able to get some Universal Credit as well. You need to bear in mind that there would be a five week waiting period before you got anything from this.
    As part of the New Style ESA claim you would have a Work Capability Assessment. If you are placed in the Support Group then you may be put in the Limited Capability for Work Related Activity (LCWRA) of UC and you would then get a payment of an extra £336.20. If you are put in the Limited Capability for Work group then you would not be paid any extra.

It is important to bear in mind that even in the best case scenario, these will not pay as much as your part time work.
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • tara2019
    Thanks for advice. Poppy I paid off my mortgage and am single I have paid ni for the past 28yrs my union rep are starting to look at redundancy on I'll health for me and I have 26 weeks sick and 6 weeks holidays to take before redundancy next yr hopefully pip should be sorted out by june 2020 
  • poppy123456
    Then my advice is to look at claiming New style ESA because this isn't means tested like UC is but as @Joanne_Scope has advised, this will be significantly less money than what you're receiving now from working.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • tara2019
    I earn less than 10 grand a year cant pay my Bill's on that never mind less I'm thankful I broke my back to pay mortgage off roll on tribunal for pip then it will be time for review of pip 
  • poppy123456
    It's never easy living off benefits sadly.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.