Lack of accommodation for under 65 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lack of accommodation for under 65

Jayneevans
Jayneevans Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My name is jayne I'm 60 years old, have had a  very active and interesting life. Just over 3yr ago I had the  1st recognisable Symptom of a  Neurological disorder And my life changed. I am no longer independent and no longer drive a  Car and I have   Carers to help make with everyday tasks. I am an artist and still manage to paint with help and  create textile art this, really helps my mental wellbeing. I am coming to terms with my life as It is now.
 There are many issues  That have an effect on the disabled community but the  Issue he found most  Frustrated and appalled by is the lack of suitable accommodation for disabled people under the age of 65. My home is not at all safe for me, I'm on my local council and housing associations list , but there is very little available that is suitable. I could be offered a flat or an apartment in a sheltered complex. The problem is I have my 4 cats, and I will not move without them they are more than pets to me, that's why I need a bungalow.  As I stated earlier not a problem if I was 65. 
Why doesn't anyone know about this hidden crisis 
Thank you for listening. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,363 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope. Unfortunately, there's huge waiting lists for social housing and there's even more of a shortage of bungalows in most areas. Sadly it's not usual for a bungalow not to be given to those under a certain age.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jayneevans and a very warm welcome to the community! I am so sorry to hear that you have found it difficult to find suitable house, as Poppy has said, this is not uncommon. 

Have you ever had a needs assessment? You can self-refer yourself here and they might be able to provide support or equipment that can make your current house more suitable. 

Please do let us know how you get on and if there is anything else we can do to help. :)
    Scope

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I am fortunate to be in a suitable bungalow from social housing as I am in a wheelchair. After waiting a few months on waiting list for this I have lovely new build bungalow. However what annoys me is priority doesn't always seem to go to those who require this type of housing. My neighbours are a under 30 year old couple with no disabilities living in 2 bedroom bungalow which would be more suitable for someone who needs this rather than a couple who could live in a house. Rant over 

Brightness