Undiagnosed autistic child — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Undiagnosed autistic child

tanyacc
tanyacc Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited December 2019 in Autism and neurodiversity
Does anyone have any advice for helping with meltdowns with my nearly 4 year old he is currently on a waiting list for assessment but we think it will be Aspergers. When I am out and he has a meltdown every one just thinks naughty child so difficult to deal with no reasoning with him making me not want to go anywhere with him on my own as he is getting bigger and stronger. 

Comments

• Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    @tanyacc
    Hi, there is a thread on the forum here called ask an aspergers and autism adviser. They are called Sheffield Sparkle.  They'll be able to help you.
    I'll look them up and tag them for you.....
  • meloko27
    meloko27 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi I've dealt with this from my daughter.  All I can say is that your not alone in your plight! My daughter is now 14.  
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Courageous
    edited December 2019
    Hi @tanyacc

Welcome to the Scope community! :) I've included some links below that may give you a couple of strategies and approaches that may be useful.

https://www.autism.org.uk/about/behaviour.aspx - this is a link to the National Autistic Society website with a focus on challenging behaviour, reasons behind it and ways to respond to it.

https://cerebra.org.uk/get-advice-support/parent-guides/ - this is a link to the Cerebra website. Cerebra are a charity that supports children with brain conditions, such as Asperger's, and their families. They have written numerous parent guides that give advice on a variety of things from Anxiety to Managing Challenging Behaviour that may be useful. 

Also Scope provides a service called Navigate which is a free, digital mentoring service, that provides online emotional support for parents and carers of disabled children who are finding out about their child’s additional needs. Navigate is open to any parent or carer that lives in England or Wales and has a child under 18 who has either received a diagnosis of disability in the last 12 months or are currently being assessed.

Navigate is a 6 week programme that puts you in touch with a Parent Adviser, who will help you talk about your feelings and concerns. You will have weekly catch ups by phone or online and they will support you in organising your thoughts and feelings, give practical advice and suggestions and explore your needs and personal goals.

If you feel this is a service you would like to access please follow the link below to make an online self referral or call 0808 8010510.

https://www.scope.org.uk/family-services/navigate/

I hope this helps.

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2019
    Hi @tanyacc and a very warm welcome to the community! I imagine this can make going outside pretty stressful! 

@Emma_Scope has offered some really useful resources and I hope they are helpful to you.

I also am linking the National Autistic Society and tips for dealing with meltdowns.

They also have a helpline:

Autism Helpline

Tel:

0808 800 4104 
    (open 10am-4pm, Monday-Thursday, 9am-3pm on Fridays
    )

Online:

Visit www.autism.org.uk/enquiry.

The Autism Helpline provides impartial, confidential information, advice and support for autistic people and their families.

@SparkleSheffieldAutismAdvisors is our amazing autism adviser who might be able to add some more information.

Please do keep us updated and let us know if there is anything else we can do to help. :)
    Scope

Brightness