Fit for work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fit for work

jollyjoe2065
jollyjoe2065 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
 I have been diagnose with  stage 4  osteoarthritis in my spine,  and on burpenorphine  patches as am was in constant pain,.  Recently had a assement  with  universal credit,  but how can they decided whether you  have a disability   within 1 hour of meeting you.  But  my last assement  from Jan 2019,  I was under the  limited capacity  for work, and not a lot wrong with me,  but  this time round they say am fit for work , but I have a lot of problems  including osteoarthritis and frozen shoulder asthmatic and diabetes.  I don't get  hoiw they  make their decision.

Comments

• deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Hi @jollyjoe2065. I am not sure how they decide who gets the benefits. couple of years ago I had an operation on my right shoulder and went onto esa. A few months later I went for an assessment and was asked to raise my arms above my head and was told that I was no longer entitled to esa because I could raise my left arms above my head. I couldn't lift my right arm above elbow height but the assessor didn't seem to care. I know someone who had an operation on her foot and was on esa, she went to her assessment and had her esa taken off her even though she was still on crutches and could hardly walk.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,939 Disability Gamechanger
     I have been diagnose with  stage 4  osteoarthritis in my spine,  and on burpenorphine  patches as am was in constant pain,.  Recently had a assement  with  universal credit,  but how can they decided whether you  have a disability   within 1 hour of meeting you.  But  my last assement  from Jan 2019,  I was under the  limited capacity  for work, and not a lot wrong with me,  but  this time round they say am fit for work , but I have a lot of problems  including osteoarthritis and frozen shoulder asthmatic and diabetes.  I don't get  hoiw they  make their decision.

HI and welcome,

As you've been found fit for work then you have 1 month from the date of that decision to request the Mandatory reconsideration (MR) you should put this in writing stating which group you think you should be placed into and your reasons why. Do remember that the work capability assessment is about the work you can do and not the work you can't do and it's not about a diagnosis.

My advice is to speak to an advice agency near you for help and support with the MR and Tribunal. Most MR decisions remain the same so it's very likely you'll have to take it to Tribunal.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jollyjoe2065
    I have a  representer who writes out my letters, I have to wait for a letter from my doctor then I will be re applying .  
  • jollyjoe2065
    I think they get brownie points , for everyone who don't  get accepted  just to save the DWP money
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2019
    May i ask which ESA you were claiming? Was it New style ESA, the old Contributions based ESA or Income Related ESA?

You can only re-apply under very certain circumstances and if you were claiming Income related ESA you can't reapply at all unless you were claiming the severe disability premium. All areas are now a full Universal credit area and it will be this you will need to claim, if you claim UC then you can't go back onto ESA.

My advice is to request the Mandatory Reconsideration(MR) as i advised above.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • jollyjoe2065
    The job centre  sent me or a a assessment , think it thenneq style esa
  • poppy123456
    If it is New style ESA then you won't be able to re-apply unless it's for a worsening of condition or it's for a new condition and you will also need to have paid the correct amount of NI Contributions in the previous 2 tax years.

Whether you can claim Universal Credit will depend on your circumstances because it's a means tested benefit.
  • kevin52
    kevin52 Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    Request the Mandatory Reconsideration(MR), Get Money Matters To Help You With Things . They Are Good And Will Try There Best For You , I Like the Green And White Top :) No Sure About the Red One LoL :)
  • jollyjoe2065
    Yeah I like the green and white top my Mrs likes the  red , so u can  imagine what for in my household  , when both play

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.