Hi, on PIP but want to drive a cab for work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, on PIP but want to drive a cab for work

Options
Archiks
Archiks Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi there, Im new to this and hoping I can get some advice. 
I am currently on standard daily living and higher mobility as part of my PIP.
I have been getting somewhat down recently being stuck at home all day and night and recently thought about doing some mini cab driving but I am scared this will affect my benefits. 
Will me driving a taxi make me lose my benefits?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

People do work and claim PIP but if the work you do contradicts the reasons you're claiming PIP then this could go against you at your next re-assessment.

Do you claim any other benefits?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,937 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Archiks and welcome to the community. :) 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    Options
    @DuffersMum as i previously advised on another thread, i claim Enhanced mobility and i drive, it's never gone against me.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Archiks
    Options
    @DuffersMum as i previously advised on another thread, i claim Enhanced mobility and i drive, it's never gone against me.
    What do you do for driving work?
  • Archiks
    Options
    HI,

People do work and claim PIP but if the work you do contradicts the reasons you're claiming PIP then this could go against you at your next re-assessment.

Do you claim any other benefits?
     No other benefits no as my wife works. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Archiks said:

I never said i work, i said i drive and it's never gone against me.
  • Archiks
    Options
    On what basis are you receiving the mobility element? Planning and following or moving around? Plenty of good case law around now e.g. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5d95cdede5274a70c9275a2d/CPIP_1094_2019-00.pdf but it’s one I’d recommend getting face to face advice on and that would include about the impact on ESA/UC etc.
    It’s more the walking up to 10 metres etc rather than the planning. My mind is ok it’s my physical in capabilities morr
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2019
    Options
    As you don't claim any other benefits then there's nothing stopping you from working bu my previous advice still stands. If the work you do contradicts the reasons for your PIP claim then it could go against you when you're next reviewed.
  • Archiks
    Options
    Archiks said:

I never said i work, i said i drive and it's never gone against me.
    Apologies I’ve always been told never to assume. It doesn’t make sense since I have a motability car which I need to get around. Why should me doing that part time affect my benefits? It’s crazy
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2019
    Options
    @Archiks - never to assume is very good advice...

However if you are driving regularly the assessor will assume that you can get in and out of a car, sit for long periods, have sufficient strength & manual dexterity to operate the controls, are alert and have good cognition/ hazard perception, be able to find your way from A to B, get out put fuel in and pay for it etc etc.

For many people these might be quite reasonable assumptions but not everyone.

It's  better to ask rather than assume but that's not what they do...

Edit - IIRC the assessor assumed I walk to the kiosk to pay for petrol. I always do 'pay at pump' but was never asked about this. Neither was I asked why - i.e. to save queuing, or because I can't walk that far -which would have been useful to know, if she'd thought to ask me..
  • DuffersMum
    DuffersMum Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    Options
    But I suspect you don’t drive for a living! I was unlucky, she twisted my words, next time I will rephrase my answers so they can’t do that.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.