What is classed as care? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What is classed as care?

Jurph
Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
Hello! I won my PIP tribunal back in August. My mum and I are looking at whether she could claim carer's allowance for me.

She was in full time work but has been on Statutory Sick Pay until the 1st December when her employment was terminated. She's due final payment (holiday etc) just before Christmas. My Dad earns a good wage and they don't claim any benefits.

I live with my parents. I'm 30. I have some independence in that I can drive to some familiar places on my own. However, mum does everything for me at home - cooks, cleans, helps me bathe, does shopping. She thinks that's just being a mum but I think it's caring. She wouldn't do this for any other 30 year old. If I didn't live with her, I'd have to pay someone to do these things

I know carer's allowance needs 35 hours but what exactly is that 35 hours of? She would do laundry and shop and cook if I wasn't here so I'm a bit confused. Hoping someone can explain.

Thank you!

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, do you claim any benefits yourself??  I think that if you are in receipt of the care part of PIP your mother can apply for carers allowance. The best thing to do is goggle carers allowance and the government site will come up with all the details and information you need to claim the allowance. 
  • Jurph
    Hi!

Yes, I get PIP standard care and enhanced mobility along with Income Related ESA support group.

Mum's final salary payment will be in 2 weeks, then she'll be officially unemployed. The thing we're struggling with is what's care and what's being a mum.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Anyone that looks after a person who claims a qualifying benefit can claim carers allowance providing they don't earn more than the maximum amount of money each week which is £123  and look after that person for at least 35 hours per week. Even a mother can claim it, i claim it for my daughter who's almost 19. Just because i'm her mother it doesn't mean i don't look after her for at least that amount of time each week. Just sitting with a person and being with them counts towards those hours, including shopping, washing, cleaning, etc etc. What i'm saying is that just because she's your mum it doesn't mean she can't claim carers allowance for looking after you.

One thing i will point out though is that i've noticed that she's been claiming SSP, she could claim New style ESA instead of carers allowance, which will pay a little more than carers allowance at £73.10 per week. She will of course need fit notes from her GP and a face to face assessment BUT she won't be able to claim carers allowance and New style ESA, it's one or the other.

Carers allowance also pays class 1 NI Contributions. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jurph
    Thanks @poppy123456

She looked at New Style ESA but she's terrified of the assessment process. Especially after helping me through mine. She's got 48 years of NI contribution and will reach state pension age in 16 months. 

I've been trying to persuade her that it is care she's giving. Without her I couldn't do these things myself. She's never claimed anything and is reluctant to do so.
  • Jurph
    I assume only her income counts and not my Dad's?
  • poppy123456
    Jurph said:
    I assume only her income counts and not my Dad's?

That's correct.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    One thing i do need to point out is that Carers allowance is taxable income.
  • Jurph
    Ok, so we certainly meet the criteria. It's just a case of working out what is care and if it meets the 35 hours.
  • poppy123456
    If she looks after you then yes she'll meet the criteria providing she doesn't earn more than the maximum amount.

I honestly think you're really overthinking this. They never ask what sort of care you give and never have. As you're living with her then i'm sure she looks after you for at least 35 hours.

Claiming online is the best way but do be aware than a claim can take between 8-12 weeks.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Jurph.
    For what it's worth, I just wanted to say I agree with Poppy. It sounds like your mum is meeting the time requirement and if she meets the other criteria she should definitely consider putting in a claim for Carer's Allowance. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Jurph
    Thank you both so much for your help

We'll have to wait until after Christmas anyway I think because her final payment would be over the limit. We'll apply in the new year. 

Happy Christmas!
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    @Jurph I'm sure your mum will meet requirements for carers allowance. Good luck. Who better for a carer than your own mum. ?
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Poppy, just wondering...will Jurph`s mum lose CA once she gets her state pension?
    My hubby was my carer and claimed CA, which he lost when he got his state pension.

Thanks x

• poppy123456
    Poppy, just wondering...will Jurph`s mum lose CA once she gets her state pension?
    My hubby was my carer and claimed CA, which he lost when he got his state pension.

Thanks x

Yes because it's classed as an overlapping benefit but you'll receive an underlying entitlement to it which could increase any other benefits you claim, such as pension credit.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.