Id question — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Id question

starbuck
starbuck Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
My husband had to surrender his driving licence when he became disabled and doesn't have a passport. 
What can he use for id purposes? We had an amazon delivery to the house earlier and the driver asked for id. My husband only had his bus pass but the driver wouldn't accept that. He insisted on either a driving licence or passport. 
This worries me now as I'm wondering what will happen when we get changed over to universal credit and they want id and what does my husband do if anyone else asks for id? 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Do I assume that the delivery was of something for over 18's e.g alcohol? Ive never been asked for i.d when taking in a delivery, for benefit purposes a number of things are acceptable they will send you a list when the time come which might not be until 2023.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• starbuck
    It was for a computer part which wasn't even expensive. I'm really baffled as to why he needed id!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    I must admit that with so many deliveries from amazon in the past i've never ever been asked for ID.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @starbuck the cheapest way I know is to apply for a citizen card: https://www.citizencard.com/

Whilst aimed mainly at young people they are generally recognised as proof of id as well as age.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    This my help, a up date utility bill, council tax bill proof of benefits bill, I know when taking out phone contracts loans ect proof of ID is required. 
  • starbuck
    Thankyou. I think I'll get him a card. He couldn't believe he was being id'd when he's nearly 50!
  • poppy123456
    I would question why he was asked for ID in the first place when it wasn't even an age restricted item.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • starbuck
    Solved - the delivery also contained an alcoholic item so it must have been that they needed the id for. Redilvery is in progress. Husband is very pleased that he looks young enough to be id'd LOL
  • poppy123456
    Haha i'm sure he was lol
  • starbuck
    I forgot all about this until today. I've had a look on the citizen card website and it says you need a referee to prove who you are. It says it can't be anyone close to you or related but doesn't elaborate any more than that. Has anyone else applied for one of these cards and if so who signed for you?
  • poppy123456
    Usually people have those ID cars if they look younger than 25, when buying age related items, such as cigarettes, alcohol and knives etc. If he doesn't look this age and has lots of problems proving his age then yes get one of those, otherwise they are not really of much use.

For referee to confirm his identity then it must be a professional person like a DR/GP, health visitor, local MP (that knows him) solicitor, social worker, teacher, etc. You can find the link of those that are accepted here https://www.citizencard.com/route-1-referees

Unless this ID card is really really needed then it's an awful lot of effort to go through. Usually these are aimed at younger people, although i have no idea of his age.

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry @poppy123456 but I disagree with you.

Increasingly we are living in a society that requires photo id. This normally means either a driving license or passport. Not sure about the requirements for driving license but it is less effort and cheaper than getting a passport and a lot easier to carry around.

Opening a bank account, if you don't already have one, getting accommodation and employment are the major ones which come to mind. 

Yes there are alternative ways around some of these, but often is a lot more effort in proving who you are.

So while they are mainly marketed at proving age they are also acceptable proof of ID.

Considering the current climate toward immigration it is more likely that needing to prove who you are will become more rigid. ie proof of id when booking into a hotel.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness