Do I have to wait 12 months to reapply for PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I have to wait 12 months to reapply for PIP?

MarkEpilepsy
MarkEpilepsy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited August 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I applied for PIP with me suffering from epilepsy which I was refused after having DLA for a few years, I wasn't confident enough to challenge the decision. Will I have to wait a period of 12 months to reapply for PIP. In the meantime really struggling to meet ends meet.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2017
    There is no waiting time to reapply forPIP as long as there is no award in payment.
    When were you refused ? In certain cases you can appeal the decision upto 13 months if you can show good reason for the late challenge
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MarkEpilepsy.

"Welcome aboard "

We have got plenty of info on "Benefits" on our home page.

There is also a "Benefit Advisor " who would be very very helpful for you.

Please please let us know if we can help you further.
  • MarkEpilepsy
    MarkEpilepsy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Steve, A benefit advisor would be great, could I arrange a call back sometime next week when it is convienent for them. I can try and work it round my working day.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @MarkEpilepsy

Scope benefits advisors do not speak to members on the phone, only online in Ask a benefits advisor category.  I suggest that you put your questions to them in that category.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    @MarkEpilepsy You can ring the Scope helpline number at the top of this page where an advisor should be able to answer your question.
  • steve51
    Hi @MarkEpilepsy.

Do you want me to check this out for you ??

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @MarkEpilepsy,

Our benefits advisors, @BenefitsTrainingCo, can be contacted through our Ask a Benefits Advisor category here on the online community. I've moved this post into that group so they can offer further advice and support.
    Liam
  • steve51
    edited August 2017
    Steve, A benefit advisor would be great, could I arrange a call back sometime next week when it is convienent for them. I can try and work it round my working day.
    Hi MarkEpilepsy

Yes I can do straightaway for you !!!!

Please let us know your details ????

Hi @BenefitsTrainingCo

Can you please help me with this one ????

Many Thanks.
  • Liam_Alumni
    edited August 2017
    Hi @steve51,

I'm afraid personal details cannot be shared on our online community, as this goes against our house rules.

As @Matilda mentions, our benefits advisors are on hand to help via. our Ask a Benefits Advisor category, and they can be contacted by members of our community there.

Alternatively, if you would like to speak to someone on the phone, @MarkEpilepsy, then you can contact Scope's helpline on 0808 800 3333 or by email helpline@scope.org.uk. They are available Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. I hope this helps! :)
    Liam
  • steve51
    Hi @Matilda.

I,m very very sorry !!!!!

Hi LiamO  Dell.

I,m also sorry !!!!!

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    @MarkEpilepsy

You do not need to wait 12 months to reclaim PIP. However, if there is a short time between applications and there is no noticeable change in needs detailed on the new PIP application form, PIP may use the same medical information when first refusing your claim.  I would however not be put off by this, and I would keep in mind the rules of PIP when completing the new application.  

When completing a fresh application, keep in mind that you need at least 8 points to be awarded daily living or mobility.  Scope have  a link to a PIP self test and there is further link to the PIP descriptors: 

http://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/pip
    http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system

If you do not have a warning prior to having a seizure, it is arguable that you need supervision when cooking (4 points), and supervision when bathing (2 points) as for example you may have a seizure and fall onto a pan of hot water or slip under bath water. It may also be arguable that you are at risk of choking if having a seizure when eating, as such supervision is again required (2 points).  Does this correspond to your difficulties? If so, please ensure that you put down what actual and also potential danger you are in when completing the PIP question on cooking, eating and bathing. 

CockeyRebel asked when the PIP refusal decision was made.  This is useful information as you may (if you want to) be able to still appeal the original refusal decision, and still make  a new claim for PIP.  Please post again if you would like advice and assistance on appealing a PIP decision. 

Please keep us posted

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:

• ljuk75
    ljuk75 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    I am sorry for jumping on your post but i was wondering if i could reapply for pip the reason i am asking is i applied for both aspects of pip and after a long 18 month fight which ended in february of this year i was awarded the mobility part but not daily living so i was wondering if i could reapply for just the daily living
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,353 Disability Gamechanger
    ljuk75 said:
    I am sorry for jumping on your post but i was wondering if i could reapply for pip the reason i am asking is i applied for both aspects of pip and after a long 18 month fight which ended in february of this year i was awarded the mobility part but not daily living so i was wondering if i could reapply for just the daily living
    Hi,

As you already have a PIP award then you can't reapply. You can report a change of circumstances. By doing this you'll be sent more forms to fill in, more evidence will be needed and you'll most likely have another face to face assessment. You could lose the award you already have, it could stay the same or be increased. No one can tell you for sure if you risk losing everything you already have. I'd advise you to get expert advise from either your local welfare rights or other disability advice centre near you before reporting a change of circumstances.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Liam_Alumni
    Hi @ljuk75,

Citizens Advice have some information on their website about a change of circumstances which you might find useful. I hope this helps!
    Liam
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ljuk75,

Citizens Advice have some information on their website about a change of circumstances which you might find useful. I hope this helps!
    Please disregard the advice on the CAB website about what to do if you have a change of circumstances.
    It has been found to be woefully inaccurate, 
  • Sandra76
    Sandra76 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi I was on dla for 10 years but was refused pip I did a mandatory reconsideration but was still refused I left it to long to appeal it though. My mental health is really bad and now I have been diagnosed with arthritis in my knees. I have also now got a letter from the dwp to say I owe them over a grand due to over payments so I am not going to be able to live. 
  • Sandra76
    I want to reapply for pip but I'm unsure if I can 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,353 Disability Gamechanger
    Sandra76 said:
    Hi I was on dla for 10 years but was refused pip I did a mandatory reconsideration but was still refused I left it to long to appeal it though. My mental health is really bad and now I have been diagnosed with arthritis in my knees. I have also now got a letter from the dwp to say I owe them over a grand due to over payments so I am not going to be able to live. 
    With good reason you have 13 month to request the Tribunal.

There's no timescales how long you need to wait to re-apply, you can re-apply straight away. Do be aware though that using the same evidence you previously used will very likely see another refusal.

PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. If you do re-apply then when you receive the forms, you need to fill it out with as much information as possible and add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sandra76
    Thank you I will try again feeling so down right now 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Sandra76, I'm sorry to hear you're not doing so well at the moment. Are you getting much support for your mental health at the moment?
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.