Esa letter from jobcentre — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa letter from jobcentre

te1
te1 Community member Posts: 94 Courageous
Hi wondering if anyone can help with this question, I received brown envelope yesterday from jobcentreplus which was at least good news as I have been put in the Support group from 31st August, but there is no mention of how long for I thought the letter would state whether it is for 3 months or 1 year etc. Do I receive anything else maybe from a different department that would tell me how long I am in the SG.
Hoping someone can answer this for me. 
Thank you 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Decision letters for ESA never ever state the length of time, this is because Support Group is an ongoing award for as long as you remain in that group but they can reassess you anytime from 3 months. You can ring DWP to ask what length of time but this will only ever be a guide. To be honest i never bother ringing to ask that question.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @te1. I'm pleased to read they put you into the support group! 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • te1
    Hello @te1. I'm pleased to read they put you into the support group! 
    Thank you for your reply, I'm still a bit confused as the letter says that I was on contribution based ESA and I am now in Support group is the support group income related or contribution based. 
  • poppy123456
    Looking back at previous threads of yours i see that it's a fairly new ESA claim this means that you'll be claiming New style ESA which is Contributions based only.

For the income related top up you'll need to claim UC but claiming this will totally depend on your circumstances because it's a means tested benefit. Living with partner that works, savings/capital all count when claiming this. You will also need to claim as a couple if you live with a partner.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @te1, I hope Poppy has been able to answer all of your questions regarding whether it's contribution based or income related. If you're still unclear or have any other queries please don't hesitate to ask. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • te1
    Looking back at previous threads of yours i see that it's a fairly new ESA claim this means that you'll be claiming New style ESA which is Contributions based only.

For the income related top up you'll need to claim UC but claiming this will totally depend on your circumstances because it's a means tested benefit. Living with partner that works, savings/capital all count when claiming this. You will also need to claim as a couple if you live with a partner.
    Thank you poppy123456 I did make a new claim for esa due to not being able to work as health conditions got worse and wasn't earning enough to be able to claim Ssp the letter I received just said that the amount paid to me weekly will be £111.65 previously I was getting £73.10 a week. I am a single person and am not entitled to UC am I correct in thinking that contribution based ESA is paid for a 12 month period or can contribution based ESA be paid for longer than that. 
  • poppy123456
    New style ESA support group is £111.65 per week and is paid for as long as you remain in that group. It's not time limited to 1 year.

May i ask what makes you think you're not entitled to claim UC? is it because of savings or something else? Just because you're a single person doesn't mean you can't claim UC.

If you claim UC then your ESA will be deducted £1 for £1 from your total amount but you'll be entitled to the LCWRA element which is £336 per month. Also the standard allowance if over 25 which is £317.82, total £653 - your ESA which is £483 as a monthly payment. Total UC monthly amount will be £171 on top of your £111.65 per week ESA payment.

Hope this helps.
  • te1
    New style ESA support group is £111.65 per week and is paid for as long as you remain in that group. It's not time limited to 1 year.

May i ask what makes you think you're not entitled to claim UC? is it because of savings or something else? Just because you're a single person doesn't mean you can't claim UC.

If you claim UC then your ESA will be deducted £1 for £1 from your total amount but you'll be entitled to the LCWRA element which is £336 per month. Also the standard allowance if over 25 which is £317.82, total £653 - your ESA which is £483 as a monthly payment. Total UC monthly amount will be £171 on top of your £111.65 per week ESA payment.

Hope this helps.
    Thank you for your reply poppy123456. I don't have very much savings but I do have a small private pension from when I worked for the NHS which I have just been able to start claiming as reached the age of 60 my pension is £340 a month so that is why I am not entitled to any UC. I am new to claiming any benefits as I have worked all my life. 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. Thanks for that information, you are correct about UC your pension will be counted £1 for £1 so no entitlement there.

Also, you will need to tell DWP about your pension, if you haven't already done this. If it's ever above £85 per week then this will affect the amount of ESA you can claim and you'll have a deduction of 50p for every £1 over £85.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.