Make sure your voice is heard - General Election 2019 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Make sure your voice is heard - General Election 2019

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team

It’s important that the voices of disabled people are heard in this election. Voting, as well as taking part in election events in your local area, gives you the chance to tell politicians what’s important to you and what you would like to see them do. 

All polling stations should be wheelchair accessible and support disabled voters. If you need to use a disabled parking space, these should be clearly visible and monitored throughout the day.

There are lots of ways you can be supported to cast your vote inside a polling station:

• If you cannot mark your ballot paper, members of staff called Presiding Officers may mark your ballot paper for you. You may also attend the polling station with someone who you would like to mark your ballot paper on your behalf.

• Polling stations should provide tactile voting devices. The tactile voting device attaches on top of your ballot paper. It has numbered flaps (the numbers are raised and are in braille) directly over the boxes where you mark your vote.

• Polling stations should provide large print versions of ballot papers.

Polling stations should be accessible for everyone wishing to vote. If for whatever reason your local polling station isn’t accessible, Presiding Officers should provide you with a ballot paper and allow you to vote outside of the polling station.

Find out more information about what happens at polling stations. If you visit a polling station and find it inaccessible, you can complain to your local authority.

Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I`ve had a postal vote, since the last time I went to a Polling Station, I had difficulty getting in.
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering

The main thing is that you really should use your vote.  Remember that even a spoilt paper sends a message that it's not apathy that's stopping you from showing your opinion.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• positivemama
    positivemama Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
     It's a privilege to be able to vote. I went to vote, used up all my spoons for the day getting there walking. A vile individual made some comments to a labour volunteer at the polling station door. I let her know she was appreciated and I'm voting on behalf of the disabled community. 
    I hope everyone had a smooth day and not too tired after. 
    Bless you all.

Brightness