ESA lump sum pension. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA lump sum pension.

Options
Angie321
Angie321 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Hi I am new to this forum and claiming benefits for the first time so forgive me if my question has already been discussed.
I have just completed my 13 week assessment for ESA and been put into the support group from January 2020. I receive a small occupational pension resulting in a deduction of £2.35 from my weekly ESA. I have another pension which I intended to cash in next September when I am 55 of £6300, however they have agreed to pay out early due to my recent cancer diagnosis. I intend to save this money to use for my funeral when it is needed. Do I need to tell DWP that I have cashed in this pension? This is the only savings I have.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,189 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

I'm sorry to hear about the diagnosis.

As you're claiming New style ESA then savings are not counted for this because it's not means tested. This means that you won't need to tell DWP about the lump sum payment. If you claim any other means tested benefits then you will need to report those changes.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Angie321
    Angie321 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    Thank you so much for your helpful reply.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Angie321. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.