ESA reassessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA reassessment

quixotic
quixotic Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello, wondering if someone could help, I filled in an ESA50 months ago and have been asked to go for an assessment, this is a reassessment as I am currently in the support group. I assumed that a request for an ESA113 would be sent to either my GP or consultant at the hospital, yet this has not been done, neither have filled one in, is it normal that no ESA113 has been requested? 

I’m also wondering what I do as my previous  ESA113 advised that I would have difficulty attending the assessment centre but as no ESA113 has been requested this time around, how do I request that a home visit or that travel would have to be arranged?

Any insight would be appreciated, thank you. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

They very rarely contact any medical professional or send the ESA113 form and you really shouldn't assume they will. It's the claimants responsibility to make sure they send evidence to support their claim.

If a home assessment is needed you'll need to send a letter from your GP stating the reasons why you can't attend the assessment centre. If you attend other appointments then this can go against you when requesting a home assessment. Do be aware also that you can only cancel an appointment once. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • quixotic
    Hi,

They very rarely contact any medical professional or send the ESA113 form and you really shouldn't assume they will. It's the claimants responsibility to make sure they send evidence to support their claim.

If a home assessment is needed you'll need to send a letter from your GP stating the reasons why you can't attend the assessment centre. If you attend other appointments then this can go against you when requesting a home assessment. Do be aware also that you can only cancel an appointment once. Hope this helps.
    Hello, thank you for responding, I’ve always had ESA113 requested every other time, I guess that’s why I’m confused this time around.

I also sent extensive letters from GP and consultants. 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. Seems like you were just very lucky the previous times but you shouldn't expect them to send this form because they don't always. As you haven't been given the home assessment then you'll need that letter from your GP but do be aware your GP may charge you for this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • quixotic
    Do you know what happens if it goes to a decision maker or tribunal and no ESA113 has been requested? I don’t see what else I can do as I included quite an extensive list of letters, also my health hasn’t changed since the previous assessment as there is no cure so logically it doesn’t make a lot of sense that there could be a different decision when everything remains the same. 
  • poppy123456
    Sending the ESA113 isn't part of the assessment process because as i advised, it's very rare that they send these to any medical professional and nothing at will happen if it goes to Tribunal because that form wasn't sent.

Most people have face to face assessments it's rare to have a paper based one. Unfortunately, if a home assessment is needed then you will need a letter from your GP stating the reasons why you can't attend the assessment centre.

Lots of people claim ESA because of they way their conditions affect them, including myself and sadly we are all assessed at some point. My condition hasn't changed since 2012 when i first claimed ESA and was placed into the support group 10 months later but have been re-assessed a few times since then and attended 2 face to face assessments and had 1 paper based one.

You will need to contact the health assessment advisory service, the number will be on the letter you received. Don't forget about the 1 cancellation rule.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.