Daughter awarded 0 on all PIP categories. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Daughter awarded 0 on all PIP categories.

smg
smg Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone, looking for a bit of advice.
My daughter (21) was diagnosed with Autism age 4, she also has additional learning difficulties. She attended supported learning throughout her school years and has gone onto college doing supported learning life skills courses. She was awarded DLA until she was 16 and I then applied to be her welfare guardian. DLA was changed to infinite award. We had PIP assessment in October and I've got the letter in this morning awarding 0 all across the board. I'm flabbergasted. My ex and I have guardian powers for my daughter until she is 25 for all health, welfare and financial aspects, yet they have scored her 0 on complex budgeting? Really don't understand this at all. I'm obviously going to apply for mandatory reconsideration and appeal if I have to.

I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Was this a PIP review or a transfer from DLA?

Either way you now have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the MR. You should put this in writing stating where you think she should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to her.

Do be aware that most MR decisions remain the same, so you'll very likely have to take it to Tribunal. Appearing in person will be the best chance of a decision in her favour but waiting times for hearings are huge in most areas and she could be waiting as long as 1 year for a hearing date.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • smg
    smg Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    It was a transfer from DLA. I had no idea appeals take so long! Thanks for the info.

• poppy123456
    PIP and DLA are different and have different criteria. PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect her ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. Did you sent evidence to support her claim?

Have a look at this link it will give you more understanding of the PIP descriptors and what they mean.

Do be aware also that the decision on the PIP could affect any other benefits she's claiming or if anyone's claiming carers allowance for looking after her because her DLA will now end.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @smg. Sorry to hear this. Is there anything else we can do to help?
    Scope

• Florine
    Florine Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    I'm not surprised, I'm afraid, since the "test" for "complex budgeting" seems to be whether you can subtract something like 75 from 100 :( 
  • tracyc1108
    tracyc1108 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    hi there I have multiple sclerosis and have had for 25 years, I just been assessed for change from dla to pip, I have scored no points for anything! I have had an indefinite dla for years and now as ms deteriorates I am much worse healthwise than ever and my ms now confines me to home without my motability car I can’t go anywhere we are going back to the days were disabled people are housebound and kept out of the public eye! Disgusting
  • poppy123456
    hi there I have multiple sclerosis and have had for 25 years, I just been assessed for change from dla to pip, I have scored no points for anything! I have had an indefinite dla for years and now as ms deteriorates I am much worse healthwise than ever and my ms now confines me to home without my motability car I can’t go anywhere we are going back to the days were disabled people are housebound and kept out of the public eye! Disgusting

Hi and welcome,

DLA and PIP are different benefits, with different criteria and claiming an indefinite award for DLA doesn't mean you're automatically entitled to PIP. It's also not about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

If you've been a motability customer since before 1st January 2014 then motability will be in contact with you about the transitional support protection that's available. See link. https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/67358/documentation#latest

You now have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the MR. You should put this in writing stating where you think she should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

As most MR decisions remain the same you'll very likely have to take it to Tribunal. Appearing in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour but waiting times for hearing are huge across most of the country and some are waiting about a year for a hearing date.

Do be aware also that your DLA ending could affect any other benefits you're claiming.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Welcome to the community @tracyc1108. I'm sorry your switch from DLA to PIP has been unsuccessful. Do you have support helping you to submit a MR?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    smg and tracyc1108,
    I'm sorry to hear about your experiences in moving from DLA to PIP. I really hope that you challenge these decisions and are successful. I don't have much to add to Poppy's excellent advice. It is important to focus on the descriptors you think should have applied to you/your daughter in each relevant activity.

The PIP self-test may help:
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-self-test

In the context of making budgeting decisions smg, it is worth thinking about whether your daughter can make any budgeting decisions at all (eg, would she know how much change to expect in a shop and therefore have some idea about what she could buy with a five pound note?), whether she would be able to do so with assistance or whether she really would not be able to make any budgeting decisions at all, even with assistance? Or, is it the case that she can make simple decisions but would not be able to make complex decisions without prompting/assistance?

Remember the test is not about what she does in practice (it may be that in practice she makes no budgeting decisions at all) but what she could do. Unfortunately the fact that you have guardian powers for your daughter doesn't mean she can or cannot do things (it may be more about what is in her best interests); the PIP test will be different, although the order giving you and your ex guardianship powers may be relevant evidence.

Will

The Benefits Training Co:

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, it is so confusing that on DLA we got full award yet under PIP we can get 0 points.

So here`s what you need to consider and put into your MR;

can you wash and dress totally by yourself, or do you need help for any part of it?
    Do you manage toileting alone or do you need help?

If you drive then the part about planning a journey and following it without help will get you 0 points.

Can you budget money?

Do you need help with meds?

Can you cook|?

These and other questions need to be answered in full to gain points.

good luck xx

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.