Changes in PIP law letter — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Changes in PIP law letter

Options
clairebear25
clairebear25 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi all

Just wondered if any of you can shed some light please on the letter I have received from the DWP as it's thoroughly confused me.  After being awarded PIP in 2016 for the standard daily living rate, I had a face-to-face assessment with Atos this February and on the back of that, my PIP claim ended on 5 March 2019.  I put my mandatory reconsideration in, and they wrote to me on the 31st May to say that their decision was correct.  The letter today says that "we've looked at your previous PIP award and it's not changed...I've decided your award up to 4 March 2019 is not affected and is still correct."  Does this mean that they are going to reinstate my PIP award, or does this mean that under the Overwhelming Psychological Distress law, they are still turning my claim down and saying no?  Having no luck speaking to the DWP but waiting for my case handler at CAB to get back to me. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,038 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

The letter you received will be for your previous award and not for your most recent decision. This is because they are reviewing all claims that had a decision after a certain date because of the changes in following and planning a journey.

Your most recent award decision will not be affected by this and your previous award was correct. Hope this helps.

See link.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • rebecca189
    rebecca189 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    I have received the same letter so will I be getting my personal independent payment back as I got my sent out the other day 
  • rebecca189
    Options
    Did you Get yours back after you received the letter 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I have received the same letter so will I be getting my personal independent payment back as I got my sent out the other day 
    Hi,

What did the letter say exactly and do you currently have a PIP award?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • rebecca189
    edited December 2019
    Options
  • poppy123456
    Options
    My form said the exact same thing as what the woman wrote just that mine had different dates on the exact same thing she wrote love 

Sorry i'm a little confused because you haven't given any information other than to say that your letter said exactly the same thing. Do you have a current PIP award? if so then i can only assume that they have looked at your claim again because of the changes in following an planning a journey and have decided that you're not owed any backdated money and your current award is correct.
  • rebecca189
    edited December 2019
    Options
  • poppy123456
    Options
    They are looking at all decision that were made after a certain date, which is why you received the letter.

I'm assuming it stopped because you had a review and they decided you were no longer entitled. Difficult to comment without knowing all of your details.
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2019
    Options
    ?

I'm not sure why you removed that comment. I just received a message from you on my wall and to answer that question, the letter you received will be because of the changes made to following and planning a journey activity and they have decided that the decision made at the time was correct.

As you were refused PIP in August 2018 then you are outside the timescale to do anything about that now because the maximum amount of time you have is 13 months.

If you still think you're entitled to PIP then you can start another claim at anytime but please be aware that to constantly re-apply using the same evidence will very likely see you constantly being refused. If you do re-apply again and you're refused then i'd advise you to request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) then if that decision doesn't change then it's Tribunal after that.

Before you re-apply because you keep getting refused then i'd urge you to get some face to face advice form an agency near you.
  • p98yg
    p98yg Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Do you have to put the letter of law pip back to DWP! If you dont send it back what happens.
  • nasturtium
    nasturtium Community member Posts: 376 Pioneering
    Options
    p98yg said:
    Do you have to put the letter of law pip back to DWP! If you dont send it back what happens.
    Also posted here >>> https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/733791/#Comment_733791

How to challenge a PIP award that has been reduced at Review https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/696285#Comment_696285

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.