Christmas bonus - is anyone else get scared of ringing DWP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Christmas bonus - is anyone else get scared of ringing DWP?

starbuck
starbuck Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
I've just rung the dwp because my husband's christmas bonus hasn't gone in this year. Does anyone else get anxiety over phoning for things like this? I'm terrified of ringing them for anything and my husband said not to bother. I've seen people on other sites say they haven't had their bonus and are too afraid to ring. They said his payment has been missed and I'll get a call in 3 working days to say when it's gone in. 

Comments

• Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    Mine appeared in my bank last week and today I got a brown letter telling me I had been paid it. I must admit I was a bit concerned when I saw the letter! Not had much experience of DWP though as this is my first claim. I do understand why you feel concerned but I don't think a phone call would lead to any questioning. My money went in 2 weeks after regular payment. 
  • starbuck
    Omg I hate Vivaldis Four Seasons  :#:#:#
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Hi,
    You've started something now @poppy123456!
    I hate that music! Years and years of ringing the DWP for clients.
    You are absolutely right of course. It does not prompt a reassessment.
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    I Neva got my Xmas bonus last week said I got paid before was due be on next one 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,332 Disability Gamechanger
    @Joanne_Scope the last time i rang was when i moved house for change of address. I waited for 45 minutes for PIP for my daughter (im her appointee) then i said i needed to change it for myself and was told they couldn't do mine at the same time and that i would need to ring again to change my details. :o you can imagine my reaction when i knew i had to wait in the queue again listening to that damn music. All i achieved from it was a huge headache!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Hi @poppy123456,
    That is so typical! And they wonder why people get frustrated. They should let us run the DWP. ;)
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I haven't got my xmas bonus yet either...  My ESA should be paid on the 24th so I'm guessing it'll come in with that...don't think there'll be much left in the shops by then though! :D  

I can't use phones so don't often ring them, and I'll just go without this if it has been missed this year.  But those brown envelopes are always a worry lol!  I do wish they wouldn't send the unnecessary ones like the xmas bonus or winter heating ones...as well as making us nervous it must cost them so much and use so much paper and fuel (post lorries/vans/electric in sorting offices etc) when most of us use online banking now so will see the payment anyway.  If they must send something, I'd be more happy with an email instead.
  • Silver925
    Silver925 Community member Posts: 106 Courageous
    Hi my Christmas bonus went in added to my usual payment first week in December. I don't think anyone likes phoning them.
  • starbuck
    Two days later they got back to me. They'd forgotten to pay it and it has now gone in the bank. 
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    I sang in a 100-person concert-choir many years ago, and 1 year we did that piece of music. The DWP have ruined it for me now...
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @starbuck   Pleased to meet you.

Understand a lot of this, learnt this support worker mental health charity.

Make a script of what you wish to say write it down.

Word for word including NI numbers you details, even top of the page good morning or any other greeting.

True get word stuck sweats and those who know me start panicking so use this.

Asked me my name said hang on knew it this morning so stuck sweating.

Had it written down, have a cold glass of water my big pad.

Deep breaths and then the call.

Explain all the time the issues you have, does help.

I forget to add, take your time.  Always been polite. After all must remember what DWP stands for

Disabled Will not Pay  just a thought.

Yes the music why not change it.

Theme tune Mission Impossible because that is what it is like for me lol...

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Just checked my bank, never did get my xmas bonus this year!  Do many people get forgotten out of interest?  I just don't understand how an automated process that presumably pays everyone that's eligible can miss some people out lol?

As said above, I won't query it this year.  I've been really unwell over the last few days (my own fault, shouldn't have tried to change the routine and food choices over xmas) so can't even attempt to phone them in my current state.  I don't need the £10 this time fortunately.
  • poppy123456
    Yes people do get "forgotten about" Sometimes it's paid on top of another benefit and sometimes it's paid separately.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • starbuck
    Quite a few people on facebook have said they haven't been paid either so it looks like a fair chunk of people don't get their bonus each year but are too afraid to ask for it. It's really sad that people are missing out because they are too scared of the system to query what is due to them.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @starbuck & @OverlyAnxious - I only received half of my Winter Fuel Payment this year; rang the DWP, & much to my surprise got through to a human being quickly. Apparently their system came up with somebody else was living at my address(!), & having gone through all the usual checks she could think of, said their computers sometimes came up with this randomly!
    I now have to wait until I will get paid the other half until between mid-January & the end of March apparently.
    I had no problems ringing them; didn't get to hear the muzak, thankfully, but querying to get an additional £100 was worthwhile.
  • martymart
    martymart Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
    Good morning, I have not received my bonus either. I am contribution esa 
  • poppy123456
    martymart said:
    Good morning, I have not received my bonus either. I am contribution esa 

There are others that also haven't received it, myself included. It can be paid anytime throughout December. Sometimes it's also added to your existing benefits so you may not notice it with being just £10 it's easy to miss.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Not had mine yet either my pip is due next week so might be added on that 

I have had my cold weather payment today 
  • Puja
    Puja Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 104 Courageous
    Mine was added onto my ESA last week 
    My Pronouns are (She/Her & They/Them)

I have lived experience of ND conditions, chronic pain, mental health & well-being, PIP, ESA, employment and benefits. 

😊 Why not fundraise for SCOPE for free while you shop online 💜💛 🎅🏻 💷💸 🍯💻 📱🛒 🛍️ 📦 

SCOPE ebay shop (online)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.