The Cinammon Trust — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The Cinammon Trust

Bettahm
Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
This post is for pet owners only really.
So many of you may have heard of the Cinnamon Trust, just thought I would make sure.
Their website headline says for elderly and terminally I'll people and their pets, but I'm not either and I'm with them. I'm simply on my own, no family to help, should I not be able to take care of them for any reason. So me and my lot are registered with the Cinnamon Trust. Its peace of mind. Should I go out today and get hit by a train I'm carrying a card stating 'emergency, animals. Please contact the Cinnamon Trust' - something like that. And I have bigger cards up in the house, plus an ICE number on my mobile phone.
The trust hold pet profiles on all your pets with all their details including what they have to eat, any meds details, temperament etc.
They have volunteers in most areas who can help in an emergency, also regular dog walkers.
I'm a member, and they have profiles of my dogs, cocktail, and various fish (which I must update). Membership £10 a year. That's a small price to pay for this unique service. Extra peace of mind for me as I grow older because I can always have pets, right into my 90s, and know when I get called home, the Cinnamon Trust will take and care for my pets till they come to join me. They'll do it for you too, so you're never to old to have the company of a loving and much loved pet.

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Franstrahan, thank you very much for sharing this with us! I imagine it really does give you peace of mind!

Here is the link for anyone who is interested: https://cinnamon.org.uk/
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    That`s fantastic. Thankyou for telling us x
  • Bettahm
    Pollyanna:
    Had you never heard of them? 
    They're amazing! If you join you get a quarterly newsletter with stories of their volunteers, updates on the pets they have in their care, news of fundraising events, more. 
    The best thing about joining though is peace of mind in the event your pets might need help in an emergency.
  • mrbuttons
    mrbuttons Community member Posts: 221 Pioneering
    @Franstrahan wow thank you somuch for this info. i couldve done with their support a few years ago when i was very ill in hospital. i will definitely get in touch with them andregister for future eventualities.

• Bettahm
    Mr Buttons:
    That's brilliant news! Thank you x
    I had a hospital appointment the other day which turned out to be a quick fix, but I could have needed surgery (if it hadn't been a quick fix!) I'm all on my own, with rescue dogs with 'issues' plus a bird and various fish. 
    Imagine the worry and stress over that lot if it wasnt for the Cinnamon Trust!
    Pass on their details, they are a Godsend x
  • Bettahm
    Just moving this thread up the queue for anyone new here who hasn't seen it
  • Onix
    Onix Community member Posts: 75 Pioneering
    @Franstrahan
    Thank you for the info. I've never heard of them so will be doing some homework.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the Blue Cross have a similar service.
  • Bettahm
    @Onix
    Never heard of the Blue Cross doing anything similar. Thought the Cinnamon Trust were unique in this. They have my lot covered, so should I have to go into hospital, or should I die, no worries over my dogs, bird or fish. They will take care of them all. 
  • brujah81
    brujah81 Community member Posts: 56 Courageous
    i have never heard of the Cinnamon Trust.. i do have a husband so i am not on my own but its worth keeping in mind.
  • Bettahm
    @brujah81
    It's worth spreading the word about them. So many people, especially when getting older, say they cant have a dog, or cat, whatever coz what's going to happen to her when I go? The Cinnamon Trust. They have all my lot covered. Amazing people. Wish they had more nationwide coverage.
  • brujah81
    where do they cover or not cover at the moment?
  • Bettahm
    @brujah81
    Sorry I didnt put that well. They cover the whole of the UK, I meant I wish they were more out there, and more people knew about them. 
  • Bettahm
    @brujah81
    I only found out about them years ago through my work as a pet carer. Someone contacted me about an 11yo chihuahua **** who's elderly owner had recently died, no family or anything, little dog stuck in the house with neighbours going in to feed her etc, but knowing she would soon have to move on. Cant remember who contacted me, but I said I would have her, so they were checking me out, and dragging their heels a bit.
    It was finally arranged for me to pick her up, then someone rang to say she had died. I think pining for her owner, and being alone most of the time in that house. Relayed the story to someone at the time who said the lady should have been with Cinnamon Trust. So that's how I got with them. They will send out posters to put up in your local community if you contact them. I've done it here, years ago. Prob should do it again actually.
  • brujah81
    Ahh I understand better now!

its sad that animals get forgotten about when their owners die. If I lived alone I would use them just in case x

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    This is really great info, thank you!!

Random question: Does anyone know of a similar scheme in Canada?
  • Bettahm
    @Waylay
    Are you in Canada? I dont know of a similar organisation there, sorry. Suggest you email the Cinnamon Trust here and they may know of one.
    I have a friend over in Calgary, if I have any contact with him over Christmas I'll ask him too.
    Best wishes with this.
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    @Franstrahan

My Mum is in Canada, and is terminally I'll (ouch, still hurts to write it), w/ 2 kitties. Thanks!
  • Bettahm
    So sorry to hear that @waylay. Try the Cinnamon Trust here, they may know of a similar organisation over there. Sure if the UK has something like the Cinnamon Trust, America, Canada etc will have their version too.
    Believe the Cinnamon Trust are unique in what they do here.

Brightness