Severe disability premium advise — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe disability premium advise

Artmuzz
Artmuzz Community member Posts: 43 Connected
I recently won an appeal for PIP at a tribunal and will be getting back dated payments from November 2018 when I applied for PIP. I am currently getting income related ESA (Support Group) and was wondering if I am entitled to Severe disability premium as extra money on the ESA I’m getting. Also, will the Severe disability premium be back dated from November 2018 too. Please advise 

Comments

• Artmuzz
    I forgot to mention I was awarded PIP Standard Rate Daily Living allowance.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Great news on the PIP decision.

That will depend if it's definitely Income Related ESA you receive and not New style ESA. Income Related ESA support Group is £128.45 per week.

If so then to be entitled to the SDP you must live alone or be classed as living alone, this means that no one over the age of 18 must be living with you, unless they are dependent children and you're still claiming child benefit for them.

If you live with another adult then they must also be claiming a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living,. DLA mid/hgh rate care or Attendance Allowance.

If that applies to you then you will need to wait for your PIP award to be put into payment and then you'll be able to ring ESA to claim for the SDP and yes it will be backdated to the start of your PIP award.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    Hi think you need high pip to get sdp live alone 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Either rate of PIP care counts, but as above you must live alone or with somebody who also qualifies, and nobody must be getting carers allowance for you.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    Dotty123 said:
    Hi think you need high pip to get sdp

Sorry but that's not the correct advice. As Woodbine has advised, any rate of daily living PIP as well as the other qualifying criteria.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    Sorry I thought you had have hi pip 
  • poppy123456
    Dotty123 said:
    Sorry I thought you had have hi pip 

No. See link for confirmation of what is needed. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/severe-disability-premium

• nanook
    nanook Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    According to that link I'm supposed to qualify for sdp, however I've been refused it by DWP and cant get any of the disablement premiums I'm supposed to.
    Maybe it's a postcode lottery type benefit?

• poppy123456
    nanook said:
    According to that link I'm supposed to qualify for sdp, however I've been refused it by DWP and cant get any of the disablement premiums I'm supposed to.
    Maybe it's a postcode lottery type benefit?

Hi,

If you're claiming New style ESA then this will be the reason why you can't claim any of the disability premiums because they are not awarded on this ESA.

When did your claim for ESA start? What group are you in and do you claim PIP daily living or DLA mid.high rate care.

With no information it will be impossible to help you further.
  • Artmuzz
    I’ve been getting ESA since 2013. I was on the WRAG in 2013 and moved onto ESA Support Group in 2015. Am I on the new style ESA? 

If not, then I tick all the boxes for to get the Severe Disability Premium as I live alone.
  • poppy123456
    Artmuzz said:
    I’ve been getting ESA since 2013. I was on the WRAG in 2013 and moved onto ESA Support Group in 2015. Am I on the new style ESA? 

If not, then I tick all the boxes for to get the Severe Disability Premium as I live alone.

My previous comment wasn't for you, it was for another person that commented on your thread.

As you're claiming Income related ESA then you will be entitled to the SDP if you live alone. Do be aware though that if someone claims carers allowance for looking after you in the future then you will lose the SDP.

Once your award is in payment then ring ESA to claim the SDP as advised.
  • Artmuzz
    Artmuzz said:

My previous comment wasn't for you, it was for another person that commented on your thread.

As you're claiming Income related ESA then you will be entitled to the SDP if you live alone. Do be aware though that if someone claims carers allowance for looking after you in the future then you will lose the SDP.

Once your award is in payment then ring ESA to claim the SDP as advised.
    Yes I know your previous comment wasn’t for me but I was just asking in general if I am on the new style ESA as I was awarded ESA Support Group in 2015.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you everyone for your support here. Just to let you know @Artmuzz, I have merged your two threads as it was a duplicate post. :)
    Scope

• poppy123456
    edited December 2019
    @Artmuzz it won't be New style because of the start date of your claim.
  • Artmuzz
    edited December 2019
    @Artmuzz it won't be New style because of the start date of your claim.

That’s good to know. Thanks.

However, I am a bit disappointed because my PIP award is only for 2 years but with the carry on with failing the assessment and having to wait for an appeal I have only 11 months left on PIP as in November 2020 I will have to reapply for it and be reassessed.
  • poppy123456
    No problem.

Sadly this happens alot because the waiting times for hearings are so long.

As you were awarded by the Tribunal then DWP will contact you about 14 weeks before the award is due to end. When you receive those forms my advice is to fill them out with as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Hopefully next time you won't have to take it to Tribunal.
  • Artmuzz
    I got my first PIP payment this week. Would it be a good idea for me to phone ESA and tell them so I can get the Severe Disability Premium on my income related ESA Support Group?

Someone mentioned above that people getting income related ESA Support Group get £128 a week added to their ESA. Is this correct?
  • poppy123456
    Artmuzz said:
    I got my first PIP payment this week. Would it be a good idea for me to phone ESA and tell them so I can get the Severe Disability Premium on my income related ESA Support Group?

Someone mentioned above that people getting income related ESA Support Group get £128 a week added to their ESA. Is this correct?

If you live alone and no one claims carers allowance for looking after you then yes you'll qualify for the SDP providing it's income related you're claiming. SDP for a single person is an extra £65.85 per week and not £128. You'll need to ring ESA to claim the SDP and ask for it to be backdated to the start of your PIP award, if the criteria applied at that time.
  • Artmuzz
    edited January 2020
    Artmuzz said:

If you live alone and no one claims carers allowance for looking after you then yes you'll qualify for the SDP providing it's income related you're claiming. SDP for a single person is an extra £65.85 per week and not £128. You'll need to ring ESA to claim the SDP and ask for it to be backdated to the start of your PIP award, if the criteria applied at that time.
    Thanks for the info. I tick all the boxes for being entitled for it.

I phoned the DWP and did the form over the phone to get SDP. The woman told me that I will hear in 10 days whether I am entitled to it. This has got me worried. What if I don’t get it even though I tick all the boxes for being entitled.
  • poppy123456
    If you tick all the boxes then there's nothing to worry about.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.