I'm a parent with two special needs children — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm a parent with two special needs children

Aims
Aims Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi I'm Aims, I'm a parent with two special needs children, my eldest has Autism, SPD, depression/anxiety and my youngest has SPD, sepeach and language delays and behavioural problems. I myself have also got osteoarthritis and degenerative disc disease. I've joined because where I live there is absolutely no support for any of us apart from my family, it would be nice to be able to connect with other people who are in a similar position to gain a bigger support network. I don't get out that much myself so lot of the time I feel pretty isolated. 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ Aims - I'm pleased to be the first to welcome you to this very friendly & supportive community. I'm sorry to read about all the problems you're facing. I can relate to OA, as I have a genetic disorder which has resulted in this. There are also other parents here who have children with Autism or Aspergers as well as adults that have it too. Here's a link: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/learning-disabilities-and-autism
    Please have a look around using the 'All groups' link to your right, & join in any discussions, or just chat here. Or both!
    I don't know if you have contacted the National Autistic Society who have local branches. See: https://www.autism.org.uk/
    Also if you live in N-W England, See: https://www.as-uk.org/ Lastly there's: https://www.childautism.org.uk/ The last 2 dicuss Applied Behaviour Analysis.
    For SPD See: ttps://www.oxfordhealth.nhs.uk/children-and-young-people/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Sensory-Processing-presentation-February-2014.pdf

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Aims and the biggest welcome to the community, it's so great to have you here!

When did your children receive their diagnosis? If it was within the last 12 months, then you may be interested in Navigate which is a service provided by Scope. Here is more information:
    Navigate is a 6-week programme that puts you in touch with a personal adviser, who will help you to talk about your feelings and concerns.

The service will help you with:
    • organising your thoughts and feelings
    • practical advice and suggestions
    • coping strategies and insights
    • taking positive actions and helping you with emotional wellbeing
    Or, we have Parents Connect which is a 6-week support programme for parents and carers of young disabled people in Leeds. It gives them a chance to meet up and share experiences.

If there is anything we can help you with then please do let us know. :)
    Scope

• emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    edited December 2019
     A warm welcome to our community @Aims  Glad to have you with us, The community and Scope Team are lovely and we’ll all be happy to help and support you in any way we can.
  • Aims
    Aims Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi all, thank you so much for your replies, sorry it's taken me a while to answer but my little family and I have been unwell with a flu bug! Thank you for all your links, I have been in touch with national autistic society and they have been very good. My son was diagnosed with autism in 2006 but thank you for your suggestion. It's nice just to be able to talk to people in general so thank you for the warm welcome! Happy Christmas and a Happy New year to you all ??
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @AIms - Sorry to read you've all had flu; I hope you're all recovering now. You are most welcome to chat here about anything, any time....it's lovely to hear from you. I wish you all a Merry Christmas & a Happy (& healthy!) New Year.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Wishing you a very merry Christmas too! Hope you are feeling okay now :)
    Scope

• supermummy1990
    supermummy1990 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    hi there im a single mum to one little girl with special needs {suspected autism spd and global development delay plus coordination difficultys } all undiagnosed thpugh as thpugh its nocitable to doctors schools all the support groups we attend etc all her referals to the place which need to see her get rejected with out meeting her because they have such a back log of people apparently this is very common from them right now me myself have asd and epilepsy and dyspraxia   would be lovely to speak to you and meet others in the same situation 
  • Chloe_Scope
    edited December 2019
    Lovely to hear from you @supermummy1990, is there anything we can do to support you and your daughter?

Would the Scope services I have mentioned above be any help? :)
    Scope

Brightness