Hi, my name is Mintygirl! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Mintygirl!

Mintygirl
Mintygirl Community member Posts: 2 Listener

My daughter was Diagnosed with Fibromyalga in May since then she has been given various pain killers that have been upped as she gets used to the dose, she is now on 70mg of morphine a day but still having break through pain. My daughter has now been referred to a D & A unit to get her off the morphine.

Our biggest problem at the moment is that we live in a 2nd floor council flat that she struggle to climb the stairs to, we have just applied for accommadation on a ground floor but i hold out little hope of her being offered anywhere, what else can i do? my daughter spent most of yesterday crying in pain an frustration, shes 22 just and sees no future as even leaving home is a major issue. any advice is welcome.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope. Do you live in social housing or privately rented? If you live in social housing then have you thought about an exchange?

You could also refer your daughter for a needs assessment from your local council.. see link here. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/

An occupational Therapist will come to your home to assess your daughter and give her the help she needs.

If you live in privately rented accommodation then have a search on the internet for your area to see what's available. If you're claiming benefits then it's not going to be easy to find somewhere else to live because landlords that accept housing benefit are very few and far between.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Mintygirl - Welcome to the community. It must be very difficult for you seeing your daughter in so much pain; I do hope she finds some better medication, or gets alternative help for her to cope with the pain. I see you have had good advice above.
  • Mintygirl
    Mintygirl Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you poppy123456 . We are in social housing, I work but couldn't afford to rent privately. Thank u I have applied to the council using the link you supplied.
    People are unlikely to exchange to a 2nd floor flat. Maybe the assessment will get my daughter the help she so desperately needs
    Chiarieds thank you heart breaking and desperate sums up how I feel when my daughter crystal in pain .
    Thank you 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Welcome to the community @Mintygirl. :smile: I hope we're able to provide you with some support.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness