The F Word — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The F Word

rosslannon
rosslannon Community member Posts: 2 Connected

For today’s blog entry, I’m going to be talking about the F word…

Yes, you read that right. But fear not, this isn’t going to be one of those explicit posts.

I am in fact talking about all things FESTIVE.

But before we jump into it, I should probably introduce myself. My name is Ross, I’m 26 years old and I am a disabled blogger from Cornwall.

Ross sat in his wheelchair next to a brightly lit Christmas Tree he has his thumbs up

Often described as a ‘cheeky chappy’, I am a massive fan of all Christmas – ’tis the season to be jolly after all! There’s definitely something special in the air around this time of year, and I’m not just talking about the Cornish chill.

Christmas Day itself is great, but it’s the festive build up that really excites me.

With that being said, I have listed below my 3 favourite ‘F’s’ in the countdown to Christmas:

Films

Nothing beats a cosy night in, watching a Christmas film with a hot chocolate in hand. Am I right?

My go-to film for the season is The Santa Clause, featuring Tim Allen. Over the years, it has become a tradition of sorts in my family, to all sit down and watch this film together.

Christmas also wouldn’t be the same without watching The Grinch or ELF, because we all know I’m a massive kid at heart.

Watching a Christmas film under the blankets definitely beats the hustle and bustle of late-night shopping in my opinion.

Food

PIGS IN BLANKETS – enough said. If you follow me online, or if you’re a regular reader of my blog, then you will know that I am a proper foodie at heart.

Roast dinners are legit my favourite meal, so you can imagine the size of my plate come Christmas Day!

A table set with plates cutterly and crackers all in red

I’m also not a drinker, hence why I probably make up for it with my food intake. I love me some Christmas pudding, or a yule log – I’m not fussy!

Friends & Family

Although I’m lucky enough to see my friends and family all year round, I love any excuse for a festive get-together. Meals out, Christmas parties, work gatherings – I’m in!

As much as I love the cosy nights in, there’s nothing wrong with a bit of festive fancy dress either!

a family picture on the beach

So, there we have it, my favourite ‘F Words’ in the countdown to Christmas.

If you’d like to see more of what I get up to throughout the year, you can subscribe to my blog or follow me online @rosslannon.

Do you have any special holiday traditions? What’s your go-to festive film? Let us know in the comments below!

Comments

• positivemama
    positivemama Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
    Hiya Ross,
    Hope you've had a fabulous day with your family and friends. 
    Got invited out, walked there and back, blew my energy and came home to a big spaghetti bowl lunch and a 2 hr power nap while my mum took care of my of my child. 
    Waiting on my father to arrive from overseas in a few days to do all the pressies and proper xmas lunch with family and friends. 
    Thanks for sharing your post. Keep the happy happy smile up. Bless you and yours.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I'm glad that you still enjoy Xmas. The main reason I do not so much is because when I used to be healthy and married I used to cater, organise and do everything Xmas for the whole family. Since I became seriously ill then disabled then severely disabled the family has not continued to do so and the family has fractured. Whilst I have spent most of today with my son and we have had Xmas dinner I have heard nothing from my younger daughter and grandchild, saw my eldest daughter and her 2 children for a couple of hours to exchange presents and have coffee last Sunday and have heard nothing at all from my sister or her children (not even a text). I do hope to see my younger daughter after Xmas but no idea when or if that might be and if not may never see her baby who was born about 6 months ago as she is in contact almost never nor has done so for years. The price of being very ill I guess even though I am not even retirement age yet.

Keep your enthusiasm going for as long as you can and good luck.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    We play lots of family games. I find that it helps to spark the festive spirit. Last night we played Scrabble and Pictionary as a family before Christmas lunch. In the afternoon we played Charades and Boggle. After dinner we had a difficult game of poker and then we concluded with a fun popular memory game. It was fun.

On Christmas Eve we started off with a quick game of cards. 
  • rosslannon
    rosslannon Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    Thank you for everyone's kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the post and the positive vibes. I hope you all enjoyed your new years eve celebrations as well. I just had a chilled one at home this year x

Brightness