Wheelchair slide - Travelling by plane. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wheelchair slide - Travelling by plane.

RunAway
RunAway Community member Posts: 1 Listener

Hi.

We are planning to take an elderly wheelchair bound relative for some winter sun (hopefully). Obviously we'll be requesting the airport help - from wheelchair to seat. But we need a way to lift from wheelchair to aisle wheelchair and then onto (and back off) the plane seat.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a wheelchair slid/lifting sheet (I don't know if that's the correct name). Also to anyone that has taken anyone that is wheelchair bound or with serious mobility issues on a plane. Do you have any travel advice?

Thanks.

Comments

• AnkyieSpon
    AnkyieSpon Community member Posts: 138 Pioneering
    edited December 2019
    Hi @RunAway have you spoken to the company you are flying with to ask if the help with moving a person onto seat etc? I know the sheets you mean I've seen them being used in hospital. Not sure what advice to give other then maybe asking the relatives GP or any care services they have for advice? Or mobility aid shops. 

I hope you get some more helpful advice sorry I could not be more help. 
    Tina 
    (Ankyie Spon)
    I'm a Pain Warrior
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @RunAway!

Welcome. 

I know your apprenhension. Have you looked on the website of the airline or not? Often you can find details there regarding travelling with a special needs person. Also contact DLF for advice on mobility aids- they can help you find something appropriate to use onboard the plane as well. Perhaps contact mobility aid shops too? 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @RunAway and a very warm welcome to the community! How are you?

Have you spoken with their doctor and the airline company? They should be able to provide more information and ensure it's a safe flight.

Here is some information that might be helpful: https://wheelchairtravel.org/air-travel/aisle-chair-boarding-airplane-disability/
    Scope

Brightness