Are you a person or a disability ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are you a person or a disability ?

CockneyRebel
CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
From many posts on here, and other forums, it seems that posters try to define themselves as a condition, illness or disability rather than as a person.
It is to easy to get caught up in the benefits system and to only see yourself as being sick or disabled, where, in fact, you are much more than than that and have a lot to contribute to society.
As we are approaching the start of another new year, which often gives us reason to reflect on our lives, there is no reason why you should not look at the positive things that we can do. For sure, our difficulties will not go away but if you look for and embrace even the smallest positives, life will become a little easier. There are few miracles in this world but one way to improve your life is to cultivate a positive mental attitude, It is not an easy thing to do when you are in pain but try to smile, even when you are alone, at least once a day, and soon it will become a habit. The smallest of action can bring a huge change, it has been said that if a butterfly flaps its wings than a storm can be created on the other side of the world.

Namaste

CR
Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I have had epilepsy for 22 years now, people often refer to me as an "epileptic" and I am not, I am a person with epilepsy, my condition doesn't define me.
    i do agree that trying to be positive is good, but also accept that isn't always possible.

But merry Christmas to everybody I hope you all have a good one
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    The fault lies with the "hate people"
    If our laws punished disability hate crime as it does hate crime against colour of skin or religion then the haters wouldnt refer to us as cripples etc cause theyd be punished for it if they did.
    Our laws need updating 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Interesting post. Thankyou.

I am a person before I am disabled.

But we have got used to pinning these labels on ourselves...guilty!

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello  @CockneyRebel my friend glad to talk to you, great Post.

The problems are do  we need labels, like to call ourselves something to remind others who we are.

Unfortunately the way others see us.

Perceptions, views and opinions of our community scrutinised.

Same with any disability or illness, condition we need to share say what we are.

I know of my self hate labels, tags but this is never going to go away, the ongoing debate.

In mental heath you can not discuss your issues only with support workers.

In many mental health charities.

One aspect of any one in my valued opinion is think selves being kind, good to yourself, be aware of your problems.

Seek help, support to deal with what ever your coping.

Disappointment for me in the role I do on here.

Meeting many members who ignore, deny themselves.  The information, links of organisations, charities to cope with their difficulty to adjust to new diagnosis.

Is the lack of self esteem, confidence, including moving forward.

Even giving them a lifeline, guidance.  Compassion, empathy.

Understand hard for some but need to give them encouragement to think positive.

Success comes in cans not can nots.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • 1Newbridge
    1Newbridge Community member Posts: 15 Courageous
    Hi
    interesting post. I have numerous neurological conditions & since onset I have fought hard to be seen as a person not a disability. Always not what I can’t do but rather what I can do attitude, learnt from 2.5 yrs in neuro physio & the numerous hilarious moments shared with others relearning life’s tasks..! The recent transition from DLA to PIP with all forms and assessment has sent me to a terrible place of what I can’t do.. it feels alien to have to linger on every little not thought of adjustment, made to my now life☹️
    I’m lucky I have great support by people who see me, for what I do & whilst I await a decision based on a 2 hour assessment, I’m dented but reminded I’m not the only one.. and I will get back up..
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm absolutely a disability (or collection of conditions!) rather than a person...  Might be wrong here but I think this is probably the case for a lot of people that are born with their disability/conditions.  Those that develop them later on have had the chance to have 'a life' before where some of us haven't.  I don't know which is worse though, no longer being able to do things or never having been able to do them...people say you can't miss something you've never had, but I don't agree! :D

Keep getting asked what 'hobbies' I have at mental assessments...umm, none!  Do you drink?  Nope...  Smoke?  Nope...  Enjoy food?  Nope...  Go to cinema or bowling?  Nope...  Play or watch any sports?  Nope...  Have any friends?  Nope...  Have a relationship?  Nope...  Pets?  Nope...

Everything I do is just a distraction to try and get through the next hour or two at a time with the least amount of consequences possible.  That's not a life so I wouldn't consider myself as a person rather than a disability.
  • pollyanna1052
    I'm absolutely a disability (or collection of conditions!) rather than a person...  Might be wrong here but I think this is probably the case for a lot of people that are born with their disability/conditions.  Those that develop them later on have had the chance to have 'a life' before where some of us haven't.  I don't know which is worse though, no longer being able to do things or never having been able to do them...people say you can't miss something you've never had, but I don't agree! :D

Keep getting asked what 'hobbies' I have at mental assessments...umm, none!  Do you drink?  Nope...  Smoke?  Nope...  Enjoy food?  Nope...  Go to cinema or bowling?  Nope...  Play or watch any sports?  Nope...  Have any friends?  Nope...  Have a relationship?  Nope...  Pets?  Nope...

Everything I do is just a distraction to try and get through the next hour or two at a time with the least amount of consequences possible.  That's not a life so I wouldn't consider myself as a person rather than a disability.

Hi OA, until I got my recent diagnosis I felt like you....hated myself for being impaired. Something`s changed in my way of thinking.
    Took 22 years to get to where I am now. Before I said I was lost...stuck in a paper bag from which there was no way out.

What`s changed my mental attitude? Just being given a definite diagnosis.....
  • cracker
    cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    I struggle with that very often

Your post made me reflect if I would think of myself as "a broken leg.". Certainly not.

I would suggest not calling this forum Disabled People. That puts a label on us.

How about "People with Disabilities"? One organization here says "Differently Able.
  • Rifi7
    Rifi7 Community member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    There’s not right or wrong way one to how we feel about ourselves. Everyone is individual and everyone chooses how reflect on oneself. How we feel about ourselves can change from day to day by hour by hour but if we can find a bit, only a bit of positivity in every day we can train our brain to think in another. I was born spina bifida and only recently started to lose the sensation in legs and was told within three months to three years I will become fully wheelchair bound and then on top of that I was told my twin brother had cancer. He was diagnosed in May and passed away in June. It was the most horrendous time of my life when I first started to write on this forum. I was suffering from severe anxiety and panic attacks on a daily basis. I was suicidal and had given up. I was lost. With the help of speaking to a bereavement counsellor and by meditating and taking CBD oil as well as stabilising my medication I’m back on track. Still have a way to go but at least I’m moving forward and not backwards. I think what helped me is to have acceptance. Of course I don’t like it, but equally I can’t change my situation. It doesn’t matter if I define myself as disability or not, I’m doesn’t change my situation. Anyhow, I’m hoping my post doesn’t offend it’s just giving a different perspective.
  • pollyanna1052
    edited January 2020
    today I feel like a problem! But \I`ll get over it. Onward and upward.
  • mousey
    mousey Scope Member Posts: 43 Courageous
    edited January 2020
    I try to think of myself as a person and not a collection of "things wrong with me" and "not normal" (the language I use to myself). It's a work in progress.
    And I definitely prefer the term "people with disabilities". I saw "the disabled" written somewhere and it felt really off to me.

Brightness