Any success stories about pip tribunals? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Any success stories about pip tribunals?

MobileGames
MobileGames Community member Posts: 123 Pioneering
Morning. Do any of the members here have any success stories about having had a pip tribunal? 

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    MobileGamesMobileGames,

Hi there, the success rates at tribunal for PIP are higher than ever.  The latest statistics say 76% of PIP appeals are successful for claimants!

In terms of making sure that you are more likely to be one of the successful people, I would recommend knowing what your PIP decision should be - being a clear as possible about which descriptors should apply to you, in which activities, and being able to explain why.

You can have a look at the activities and descriptors by doing the PIP self-test if you haven't already done it. It can be helpful to get the assessment report too, but it isn't worth spending loads of time going through all the errors in the report. Pointing out why it is unreliable (if that's an issue) can be helpful, but it's just as important to present your own evidence about why you should get more points than the assessor said. 

I'm sure there will be lots of success stories on here. Most recently I had a client whose award was increased at tribunal after they had been reluctant to challenge it for fear of making things worse. I've also seen situations where someone didn't have particularly recent medical evidence but whose condition clearly hadn't changed, & they got their PIP back. So whatever the correct award is that you are looking for, there is a chance you will be successful.

Will

The Benefits Training Co:

• happyman
    happyman Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
    Can you take someone with you on your behalf like a solicitor or c a b 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes you can take someone with you, this can be a friend or a family member. You don't need a solicitor for a benefit Tribunal. Representation maybe possible for an advice centre near you. Unless you have an appointee then you will need to speak for yourself during the hearing, even with representation.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jurph
    Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
    Mine was good!

I went from 0 points to standard care and enhanced mobility at tribunal.
  • Florine
    Florine Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    The definition of "successful" is a bit debatable: we went from 0 points on both to standard mobility.  Is that a "success"?  Depends, I guess: we should have been entitled to higher-rate mobility, and maybe just about standard rate on personal care.  But any tribunal is deemed "successful" if you end up with a better award than the one you had previously.
  • MobileGames
    @Jurph. Thank you. I'm glad to hear yours was successful. 
  • MobileGames
    Thank you for sharing your successful appeal stories. Apologies in advance for the long post. I'll be happy if I get standard mobility because I can't get to unfamiliar places without someone going with me and knowing the way. I tried to get to Leamington on my own once and got lost,took me an hour to get there,ended up on the motorway on the way back with a 50cc scooter. I got very stressed and anxious. I had a home assessment for pip and for esa. The time before,dad took me for the esa assessment. He got lost and was panicking and got stressed,which made me stressed. I rang up the job centre,asked for directions,couldn't understand them and started to panic that I'd miss the assessment. My palms were sweating,my chest felt all tense and my heart was pounding. I then saw the job centre by a chance sighting. If I hadn't spotted it,I would've had to have cancelled and explained why. I was so stressed,so the last time I had a home assessment. I can't go on public transport because of the noise and people,not knowing if it'll arrive on time, leave on time and I can't understand the timetables. The last time I tried,I went into town with my mum when I was in my early 20s and I felt really agitated and anxious. The bus had a woman on it that was flipping out over a bee and that made me feel anxious and agitated. My chest felt tense and I felt like strangling her. I was glad to get off. I walked back. I can't go out for the day. The last time I tried was at a funeral. I ate outside the pub,couldn't go in. 
    I felt agitated and anxious the whole time. My palms were sweating,my chest felt tense,felt sick and my heart was pounding. I bolted the food down to get it over and done with. I felt sick and anxious for the rest of the day,and at teatime I sat in the car and ate my tea,took sandwiches with me. My relatives went in to get food and ate it in the car with me. Whilst we were travelling to the funeral I was getting anxious and asked several times if we were there yet, kept checking my watch. The anxiety and nausea didn't lift until the next day in the afternoon. I can't go on holiday. When I was 14 my Mum and dad forced me to go and they had to come back the next day because I was getting so stressed out. We got there at teatime and they made me eat in the dining area in the hotel. I was so anxious I didn't eat much so had a burger later on on the sea front. I had my breakfast upstairs. I begged to have lunch on the sea front but they made me eat in a restaurant. I didn't finish the meal. My dad described me as a jekyll and Hyde. At teatime I had cheese and crackers,and crisps on a train and kept moaning to go home. We went home that evening. My mum blamed me for ruining their holiday. I would've been okay on my own. I can cook a simple meal. They wouldn't hear of it,said I'd end up burning the place down. I can't go into the supermarket. I tried with my mum and dad in late 2013 and got so anxious and felt so agitated that I started to cry. People were looking at me so mum said "I think you'd better go back to the car." I sat in the car in, the car park,crying.
        On the care side,athough I wear pads to manage toilet needs because of anxiety and not being able to hold much fluid so when I need to go I have to have a toilet near by and need to move quick as urine starts to come out. I don't know how ill be around friends,family and groups because lots of things can trigger my anxiety and agitation. If they upset me,I'll be thinking about it for hours after. Or if someone is doing something repetitive or loud,I have to leave the area,or if someone keeps going on I have to sit away from them. My mood is up and down during the day. I can't understand complex written and verbal information. I can't understand the wording and time frames add pressure to filling in forms so my mum does it because I get so stressed I can't think properly and she has to help me to think. I can't read a book. After a few pages I forget it and feel nauseous due to the print. If someone,a friend,my mum is trying to explain something complex,I get confused and have to have it explained in simpler terms. I can't make complex budgeting decisions. Mum deals with the paperwork. I can't understand it. I bathe twice a week but it takes me 30-40 minutes and I need to lie down afterwards. I feel sick and tired. I'm not holding out much hope on the care component,so will be happy if I just get the mobility component. 
  • MobileGames
    @Florine. Sorry you didn't get what you'd hoped for. You were brave to appeal. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.