Abdominal Binders — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Abdominal Binders

Options
James27
James27 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello, I use an abdominal binder on a daily basis to help maintain a healthy blood pressure and breathing.

Every night when I go to bed my skin is checked for any marks and on occasions my back in the lumbar area can have a pink or red mark the size of a thumb nail.

I currently use binders from Oppo Supports (for 10 years or more)and was wondering if anyone else has the same problem?

I have a spinal cord injury at C3/4 incomplete therefor I have no feeling or sensation from the shoulders down.

Your help or suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Merry Christmas

James

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @James27 and a very warm welcome to the community! Unfortunately I don't have experience of this but I hope other members will be able to share their experiences.

Please feel free to have a look around the community and let me know if you have any questions. :)
    Scope

• mousey
    mousey Scope Member Posts: 43 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @James27, although my situation is different from yours I think I might be able to help.

I have a stoma and a parastomal hernia - I wear a support garment which is now a hernia belt. It's not quite the same as yours but to me it sounds like you may have a pressure sore - I would check with your doctor. I have one from my previous support garment which wasn't really suitable for me. My GP gave me a skin cream for the sore. I think it's something worth checking with your GP either way.

Good luck! :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @James27, how are you getting on?
    Scope

• newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    Not that  I know  the  binder in question,  but do you maybe use some kind of extra soft smooth silky material between your skin and the binder? 

Plus work  out which particular parts of the binder are rubbing, projecting or chafing you, where your lack of sensation  means you can't  feel i happening.   At those  spots, maybe stick padding  on  the binder itself? E.g. gel pads intended to line shoes.

Brightness