The Manderson Trust — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The Manderson Trust

TheMandersonTrust
TheMandersonTrust Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited December 2019 in Research and opportunities

The Manderson Trust is 30 this year!

The Manderson Trust for the disabled, to be found on Overcote in Over, Cambridgeshire, is a registered charity run by volunteers and maintained by contributions from friends of the trust and other charitable organizations. It is 30 years old this year!

In the early 1980s Dennis Manderson had a dream to provide facilities for disabled anglers. He himself loved fishing and, being disabled, found it difficult to access suitable places to fish. In 1986 it became possible to buy the lakes at Over and in 1990 The Manderson Trust for the Disabled was registered as a charity and work began to make Dennis’ dream come true. Since 1993 it has been open as a fishing venue.

The Trust is run and maintained entirely by a small group of unpaid volunteers. With the help of these volunteers, through fishing matches, donations, scrounging goods and services, it raises money to maintain and improve the facilities. Initially 2 lakes were combined to make 1 large lake and a further 3 lakes have been made accessible to fishermen. The focus is mostly on Carp but Roach, Rud, Tench, Bream, Perch and the occasional Goldfish can all be had. Large fish up to 18lb are found in lake 5. Exciting surface fishing is a great way to spend an evening in the summer. Lake 3 is full of silver fish and a great place to bring beginners.

Pathways have been made, grassed areas seeded with wildflowers and trees and bushes are thriving in the extensive area of planting. The top end of the site has been developed as a haven for wildlife. Foxes, deer and badgers are seen by early rising fishermen and those set up for night sessions. Nesting Swans, Moorhens, Coots and Ducks join Kingfishers on the water.

‘The Centre’ building, provides toilet facilities and a rest room where hot and cold drinks, in fact a complete meal, can be prepared.

In 1994 Dennis Manderson died and a memorial garden was created at the Lakes in his memory.

The Manderson Trust is dedicated to provide fishing facilities with easy access for disabled people and day ticket and season fishing at reasonable rates for the non-disabled. There are also tickets and annual membership rates for OAPs, families and juniors.

In 2020, aided by The Environment Agency and The Angling Trust, we will embark on a program of improvement and renewal. Fishing platform upgrades, a weed control program, wildlife pond development and path access to our wooded area are just a few things on our ‘To Do’ list for the year. All are welcome come and see what we have to offer and to take advantage of the fishing available while helping a good cause. Volunteers are always welcome too.

The website, www.themandersontrust.co.uk and Facebook page provide up-to-date information about the Trust. Any queries please contact John on 07756883175

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks. This is helpful! Do you teach small children or not? I want my cared for person to actively participate in community sports. Who do I contact for more information? 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Sounds great, i loved fishing all my life but now my epilepsy makes it impossible to go fishing without my OH to watch over me which isn't often.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• TheMandersonTrust
    TheMandersonTrust Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Woodbine
    Sorry to hear that you can't fish as much as you want to. I know how much I love getting out even if I blank!!!
    Get your OH some kit!!!!
    We are new to the Scope messaging site and you are the first to get in touch. Many thanks!
    Best wishes for the New Year
    regards

John
    The Manderson Trust

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.