Has enyone lost there job and home due to there disability — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has enyone lost there job and home due to there disability

Options
Mark111
Mark111 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
edited January 2020 in Work and employment
Has enyone lost there job and home due to there disability 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Twenty two years ago I lost my job due to my epilepsy, but I couldn't fault my then employer who did all they could to help, luckily we didn't lose our home 
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I lost my job because my health deteriorated (beginning of becoming disabled) and they didn't do anything to help.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I lost my job due to my disability which also led to losing my home. I became disabled instantly by having my leg amputated and was unable to do the job I had and my home was also no longer suitable I was housebound. However after a year of hell and fear of being homeless with my son I was finally offered a new bungalow and our life is now back on track and we have learnt to make the most of what we have 
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    I wasn't too bad when my issues were first discovered and it was hoped surgery would solve everything. I was diagnosed in 2004 but waiting 14 months for surgery whilst getting worse caused me to lose my job in 2005. Unfortunately the surgery, December 2005, didn't solve the problem it merely delayed the onset and, although I wasn't officially classed as disabled for a few years, I haven't been able to work since except for the first couple of years working a couple of half days for a charity shop.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • 1Newbridge
    1Newbridge Community member Posts: 15 Courageous
    Options
    Yes... following a deterioration in my health our business went under, took our roof with it ( public house)
    we had many many problems with claiming benefits... in the end we spent 2 years in a large touring caravan.. We are fortunate to have a home on a large estate, but going through DLA to PIP is causing us a lot of anxiety, we know first hand how quickly you can loose everything.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Mark111, is there anything we can do to help? 
    Scope

• Mark111
    Mark111 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    Options
    Thank u but I don't think enyone can hellp they say if I'm  no longer able to do my job they can put me out the door on capability ground basically means 3 months wages and out the door I've been on sic leave for almost 28weeks wile they have tryed to get on top of the ra with disease modafing drugs but the disease is still active the up **** is no job can't pay mortgage I will have to go homeless the disease isint savere enuf for me to reserve eny benifiets so I'm screwed prity much 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Mark111 - This is an awful situation to be in, & I'm going to ask my friend @poppy123456 if she may be able to advise you as she knows rather a lot about benefits!

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you @chiarieds for the tag :)

Hello and welcome @Mark111 I'm sorry to hear of your very difficult situation.

Regarding benefits. If you've worked and pain enough NI Contributions in the previous 2 tax years then you'll be able to claim New style ESA but you'll need your SSP1 form and a fit note from your GP to be able to claim this. You can start your claim 3 months before your SSP ends but you won't receive any money until it stops. Unfortunately, it only pays £73.10. For this you will eventually have a work capability assessment and you'll be sent forms to fill in and return with all your evidence. A face to face assessment is most likely because most people have them. If you're placed into the support group then you'll receive extra money (£111.65 in total per week) from the 14th week of your claim and your ESA will continue for as long as you remain in that group. See link. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance

If you're placed into the WRAG then your money will remain the same and will stop after 1 year.

Whether you're entitled to claim Universal Credit will depend on your circumstances, if you live with a partner that works then you'll need to claim as a couple. Whether you're entitled to anything will depend on your partners income. Also the New style ESA will be deducted £1 for £1 from the UC amount. If you're placed into the support group for ESA then you'll receive a top up on your UC for the LCWRA element.

As you own your own home then unfortunately you won't be able to claim for any help with the mortgage payments for at least 39 weeks and you will only be able to claim for this if you're claiming Universal Credit and you have no earned income for 9 consecutive UC payments. It's paid as a loan which will need to be repaid with interest if you ever sell your home. Details here.

In the meantime regarding your mortgage payments i urge you to speak to your lender, if you haven't already done this.

PIP, this isn't means tested but it's not awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. Evidence will be needed to support a claim and most likely a face to face assessment will be needed because most people have them. Unfortunately, it's not something that can be claimed quickly and a successful claim could take 6 months, sometimes longer. See links https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/before-claiming/how-much-you-get-and-how-long/

Hope this helps and if you have anymore questions please do ask.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • louise1985
    louise1985 Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
    Options
    Sorry to hear your struggles it can be pretty s**t 

i lost my my job when I became ill or should I say forced into a decision 

i had a clean record work wise no time off until the weekend before I became poorly I spent weeks at work feeling ill it was only when my gp sent me hospital suspecting sepsis but I found out it was a lot more serious and spent 2 weeks in hospital I won’t go down the route of listing illnesses but at first my boss was very understanding then as I had more time off it became more official,sending me letters at home inviting me in for attendance meetings,asking to access my medical records which I had no objections too...then the final straw came when she asked if should see my nephrostomy hole as didn’t believe I had one.
    after 6 months off work I agreed to go back to work as I felt very pressured even though my Medical condition hadn’t improved,my boss agreed to change my shifts as they had bought in an occupational therapist in so it looked like they was supporting me.
    l last 2 days at work as I was in agony I went back to my gp he told me I should have never have gone back and signed me straight off again
    work excepted my sick notes for a few months again until they started with the letters at home again it got to the point it was draining me so I asked my work to put me on career break which terminated my employment for a year but when I started to feel better I enquired about going back but what a surprise they didn’t have any hours to give me....(what they actually meant is they didn’t like the fact I had been off for so long)

I too was paying a mortgage trying to support my 2 kids and the money I was getting from esa wasn’t going anywhere and I couldn’t get help with my mortgage for 39 weeks by then I was already in arrears the best advice I can give is try and make an appointment at your local welfare rights centre they will go through everything with you and help as much as they can they was fab when I saw them 

Brightness