Studying IT and want to work from home. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Studying IT and want to work from home.

Will33
Will33 Community member Posts: 41 Listener
Hi. I am studying IT part-time at the moment online and I want to work from home but don't know if working from home will affect my ESA income-related and in the support group. And what I need to report only if I make money. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

This will come under permitted work and you need to get permission before doing any work. You must work less than 16 hours per week and earn no more than £131.50 after deductions. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Permitted-Work-Rules

Any weeks you earn more than that amount then you won't be entitled to ESA.

Do be aware that if any work you do contradicts the reasons for your ESA claim then you could be re-assessed early and it could go against you when the decisions been made.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Will33
    Hi. So even If I do part-time IT course online and do permitted work it won't clash together because I was told it would both be counted as full-time work or full-time commitment? 
  • poppy123456
    A part time IT course online is not the same as doing permitted work. They are both completely different.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Will33
    Is it possible if I fill in the permitted work form after I have started my business because I don't know how much I will make in my first month?
  • Will33
    Because I don't know if I should set up the website first then report permitted work. 
  • poppy123456
    Ideally you should fill out the form before starting work. As for permitted work and self employed then you'll need to get expert face to face advice regarding this because there's very limited information on the internet regarding self employed and how the earnings are worked out.
  • Will33
    Who should I ask DWP or Job Centre Plus?
  • Will33
    Also on the form, it's hard to fill out since I don't know how soon I will start and when my first payment I will get?
  • poppy123456
    DWP not your local Job centre. As long as it's filled out before you start then it doesn't matter. Any earnings you receive will need to be reported to DWP. I just have no idea how they work out self employed earnings for permitted work because there's very limited information.
  • Will33
    It says here that I have to talk to my Job Centre work coach is that true before I start my business up?

How can permitted work change your other benefits?

If you’re getting another benefit because you’re not working (for example, Income Support, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction), then your benefit may be reduced or stopped if you do any sort of work. Talk to your Jobcentre Plus work coach before you start any work.

If you get Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction and you’re thinking of starting permitted work, you must talk to your local council straightaway, as the amount you get could change.

• Will33
    And it says here that I could lose benefits if the criteria of the type of work I do isn't classed as permitted work?

Details

If you’re claiming ESA, fill in the permitted work form before you start any paid or unpaid work.

Send it to the Jobcentre Plus office that deals with your benefit. They will tell you if the work you want to do meets the permitted work conditions.

You could lose your benefit if you do any kind of work that doesn’t meet the conditions. If you can’t send the form before you start work, send it as soon as possible after starting work.

If you can’t use this PDF form for any reason, contact the office that deals with your benefit.

• poppy123456
    edited January 2020
    You're in the Support Group which means you do not have a work coach.

Have you read the link i posted above? I'd advise that you read it and scroll down. It states that earnings from permitted work are ignored completely for housing benefit  BUT you must NOT earn anymore than £131.50 per week and work less than 16 hours. If you go over that amount then your ESA will stop.
  • Will33
    Oh, I see. I haven't read through it properly sorry my health issues stopped me. 
  • poppy123456
    You should still contact your local council regarding your council tax reduction when doing permitted work though because all local councils have different rules for council tax reduction and i won't be able to advise you on that.
  • Will33
    What does this part mean? 

You could lose your benefit if you do any kind of work that doesn’t meet the conditions. If you can’t send the form before you start work, send it as soon as possible after starting work.
  • poppy123456
    It means what i advised in another comment. If the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming ESA then you could be re-assessed early and it could go against you once the decision is made.
  • Will33
    Okay, so what should I put in this part for the form under this link https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/800904/permitted-work-form-pw1.pdf? Because I don't know how much I will earn if I only started it up. 

How much will you earn after tax? This is the amount after income tax and National Insurance (NI) contributions are taken off.
  • poppy123456
    You will be self employed so you tick that box. They won't expect you to know what your earnings will be but you will need to report those earnings once you start work.
  • Will33
    On the same form, what about this part should I leave it out On what date did you start work or will you start work? If this date changes, tell us?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.