Blue badge for autism - anyone manage to get one?
I am waiting for the outcome of my application for a blue badge on behalf of my 9-year-old son. His severe sensory issues make journeys very challenging but as we live in Central London we decided to sell our car 3 years ago as there was little benefit for him as we could never park close to our destination. We now rely on expensive taxis and the generosity of friends. If we do buy another car it will be 100% for his benefit as we don't need one for any other reason.
I was wondering if anyone has managed to get a blue badge for an autistic child under the new hidden disabilities criteria? As my son gets the middle tier of the care component of DLA but not the mobility component does anyone know if he will also qualify for a reduction or exception for car tax if he gets a blue badge? I was also wondering if we bought an older (cheaper) car for him if the new ULEZ charge will apply or will he qualify for the exemption until 2025 for blue badge holders?
- 49.2K All Categories
- 9.8K Start here and say hello!
- 4K Coffee lounge
- 3.9K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.4K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 135 Community updates
- 11.5K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 658 Work and employment
- 525 Education
- 965 Housing, transport, and independent living
- 925 Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 245 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 248 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 19.4K Talk about money
- 1.8K Benefits and financial support
- 4.2K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 11.4K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2K Universal Credit (UC)
- 3.6K Talk about your impairment
- 1.2K Cerebral palsy
- 586 Chronic pain and pain management
- 648 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 702 Autism and neurodiversity
- 841 Mental health and wellbeing
- 287 Sensory impairments