Housework — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housework

NannyT
NannyT Community member Posts: 7 Listener

Hi all and thank you for allowing me to join. I am 59. Currently I am suffering with my spine, Cervical lordosis, DDD, severe spinal Osteoarthritis and now Sagittal Inbalance. I’m actually at hospital today for an appt. My pain is horrendous but I do try to keep moving and smiling.  My biggest issue is that I’m houseproud and now can’t keep on top of housework anymore. How do you all cope?clear

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

I'm on of the community champions here on scope and i help and advise others.

I have a disability and live with my youngest daughter, she's almost 19 and has ASD and a learning disability. We help each other, i help her with the things she struggles with and she does the same to me. One of her very strong points is housework. When she's home from college she does a lot of what i can't do. When she's not at home, i just do a little at a time, then rest for a while before doing a little more. It takes me quite a while to finish what i'm doing but i get there eventually.

Do you have a family member or maybe a partner that can help you with the things you struggle with?

Some people pay someone to do those chores for them but of course this depends on your financial situation because the hourly rate can be quite high in some areas.

Good luck with the appointment today.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Easy!  we don't. We just do what we can and "bury" the rest.
    I have nasty neighbour who made comments. She even called the council out. He came, had a look and went round and shouted at her in the street.
    he said "she's ill (me) try giving her (me) a hand with the garden & housework"
    Of cause thats not going to  happen, but it was funny. The baggage ran back in her house.

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    My housework isn't done as often as it was..but carers do help.
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    I don't do my housework very often apart from the bathroom and kitchen but it is getting harder to do the housework. I have to do it in stages.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    A warm welcome to the community @NannyT, I hope your appointment went okay.
    Scope

• newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Missceo that was so funny, and hearteningly that things went so perfectly.   I like that you describe  her as a 'baggage'!

By the way,  what was she on about?  If she hadn't  been in your home, how could she complain about your housework?   If it was the front garden, can you do something imaginative such as contacting a local  friends of the earth or other group, or even  a local  school,  and offering them the use of the garden to create a wildlife area, in return for them checking it doesn't turn into a rubbish tip.
  • cracker
    cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    I am on a program called Choices For Care. It is for people who cannot manage without help.

Carers help with shopping, transportation cleaning, laundry. They will also help those who need help dressing and bathing so we can live at home.

I have trouble accepting this kind of help.  But I could not live independently without it.
  • NannyT
    A warm welcome to the community @NannyT, I hope your appointment went okay.
    Hi Chloe, yes thanks, was at the pain clinic, I’ll be having injections into my neck end of January, really hoping it helps ??
  • NannyT
    cracker said:
    I am on a program called Choices For Care. It is for people who cannot manage without help.

Carers help with shopping, transportation cleaning, laundry. They will also help those who need help dressing and bathing so we can live at home.

I have trouble accepting this kind of help.  But I could not live independently without it.
    Cracker, thanks for this, I’m having trouble asking for help too, but I think it’s something I’m going to have to look into as my spine is not going to get better, I’ll have a look on their page ??
  • NannyT
    Hi and welcome,

I'm on of the community champions here on scope and i help and advise others.

I have a disability and live with my youngest daughter, she's almost 19 and has ASD and a learning disability. We help each other, i help her with the things she struggles with and she does the same to me. One of her very strong points is housework. When she's home from college she does a lot of what i can't do. When she's not at home, i just do a little at a time, then rest for a while before doing a little more. It takes me quite a while to finish what i'm doing but i get there eventually.

Do you have a family member or maybe a partner that can help you with the things you struggle with?

Some people pay someone to do those chores for them but of course this depends on your financial situation because the hourly rate can be quite high in some areas.

Good luck with the appointment today.
    Hi Poppy, thanks for the reply, I think it’s brilliant how you and your daughter help each other xx unfortunately even though I have family, no one is really available to help out, my hubby does a little when he’s home but he works away a lot, he does tell me to get help from a cleaning company, but I suppose it’s going to take a lot for me to admit I need help,  appointment went well thank you xx
  • NannyT
    Misscleo said:
    Easy!  we don't. We just do what we can and "bury" the rest.
    I have nasty neighbour who made comments. She even called the council out. He came, had a look and went round and shouted at her in the street.
    he said "she's ill (me) try giving her (me) a hand with the garden & housework"
    Of cause thats not going to  happen, but it was funny. The baggage ran back in her house.

How disgusting of your neighbour, really glad she was told off xx 
  • NannyT
    My housework isn't done as often as it was..but carers do help.
    Hi Polly, I’m glad you have help, I’m sure I’ll get there too xx
  • NannyT
    deb74 said:
    I don't do my housework very often apart from the bathroom and kitchen but it is getting harder to do the housework. I have to do it in stages.
    Hiya Deb, I’ve been trying to keep on top of them too, the rest of the house is tidy as it’s only me and hubby and he’s hardly here, I potter about daily tidying up but I haven’t hoovered in weeks.  Xx
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad the appointment went well @NannyT! I really hope the injections help.
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    cracker said:

Is thhe help from Choices for Care free?
  • mousey
    mousey Scope Member Posts: 43 Courageous
    Honestly, I don't. I try to do dishes here and there, and laundry, but more often I don't. Things like hoovering are more like once a month. It's horrible and I'm very ashamed of the state I live in but I hate having to ask anyone for help because I feel like I'm a hassle for other people.
    I'm hoping I can get some practical help soon.
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    Hi NanntT ...and welcome to one of the best sites online .God knows how I would have coped going from DLA to PIP without the help and support of the experts on this site. 
    I,m sorry to hear you have terrible pain , I,m afraid having terrible pain and being house proud do not work hand in hand. I  would suggest you do a wee bit at a time , the livingroom or kitchen for instance....sit down when you need to and take as much time as you need on each chore . My wife used to start upstairs and do the beds and all the housework in one day ....she has bad arthritis now and could not possibly do that now. A bit at a time I would suggest...being house proud will need to take a back seat I,m afraid . The housework will be here when we are not , so please take a bit at a time ....goof luck nanny.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    My son and daughter assist me with light housework. They also do up their beds and are learning how to do laundry too as well. Next year I might ask them to help me iron clothes and teach them basic cooking skills. 

Brightness