I’ve just started the PIP process. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I’ve just started the PIP process.

Options
battler69
battler69 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited January 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Evening, today I’ve just started the PIP process. What’s the process like. Any tips , as I heard it’s a hard process

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,988 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i help and advise others.

Lots of people successfully claim PIP first time without any problems at all, we just rarely hear the good stories. One of the worst things a person can do is go onto an internet forum while in the process of claiming a benefit and then read all the bad stories.

I've never had any problems claiming PIP and neither has my daughter.

Of course whether you're successfully awarded will totally depend on how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. It's not awarded based on any diagnosis.

As you rang to start your claim today then you will receive the PIP2 form next. This will need to be filled in and returned with all your relevant evidence to support your claim. When you receive that form you should fill it in with as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Try to keep the information relevant to the descriptors that apply to you rather than tell them your life story because they won't need to know everything in your life, if it's not relevant.

If you don't have enough time to return the form you can ring to request an extra 14 days.

Once you return it then sometime in the future you'll most likely have to attend a face to face assessment because most people have them. During that assessment you'll need to verify what you wrote in that form, as well as answer any additional questions. You will be observed through out the whole assessment so do be aware of that.

The whole process can take anything from 5 months to over a year in some cases.

Research is your biggest key to a successful claim because just quickly glancing over the PIP descriptors it's very easy to score yourself points that may not be possible to score, or it may not be possible to score as high as you think you should score.

Start by having a read of this link while you wait for those forms.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @battler69

Welcome to our online community/family.

I’m also one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

We have got some great info on “pip”
    for you below.

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/personal-independence-payment-pip/

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/preparing-for-pip-assessment/

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/challenging-PIP-or-other-benefits-decisions/

I hope that this info is helpful for you???

Please please let me know if you need any help going through them?????

@steve51

• emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Options
    Welcome to the community @battler69  .
  • battler69
    Options
    Thanks for the support . I’m new to this so I might be a pest for a while
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Options
    No worries at all @battler69 if you need any assistance navigating the community or have any questions just let us know. I can also tag members of Team Scope should you need their support at all.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @battler69

Yes that would be no probs.

We are all here for you so please give us a “Shout”

@steve51
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @battler69! Please do ask if you have any further questions. We know it's not always an easy thing to do! 
    Scope

• battler69
    Options
    Thanks for the support. I was diagnosed with crohns a year ago , but 6 weeks before I had to have my large bowel removed and now have a stoma. It’s a real life changer. Thanks
  • battler69
    Options
    Morning
    so I have just received my PIP form. Wow it’s quite a form.  Please can some one help me
    i have also just received my blue badge application form 
    again , help please
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I advised this above..
    Try to keep the information relevant to the descriptors that apply to you rather than tell them your life story because they won't need to know everything in your life, if it's not relevant.

you should fill it in with as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

If you don't have enough time to return the form you can ring to request an extra 14 days.

Send relevant evidence with the form because they rarely contact anyone for this. The onus is on you to make sure it's sent to support your claim.

You could contact an agency near you for help with the form but the only person that really knows how your conditions affect you is yourself. This link may help https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/fill-in-form/

The blue badge if you don't have a DLA high rate mobility award then you won't automatically qualify so you'll need to send some evidence with that form to support your claim.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • avakarlsson
    avakarlsson Community member Posts: 333 Courageous
    Options
    Hi 

I am on pip, I took me a quite a while to get it as you had to phone them, then fill out the forms then send them back and wait to see if you can have it, unfortunately I didn’t get it so I did an appeal and eventually got it last year. 
  • JennyJHam1988
    JennyJHam1988 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hi, I am on the enhanced rate for mobility but got nothing for care. I have a neurological disorder called narcolepsy which isn't widely recognised and I felt because it isn't a visible disability they didn't take me entirely seriously. I am over the moon I got the mobility side but I desperately needed some of the care element too but as I suffer from anxiety so didn't feel mentally strong enough to challenge their decision on the care element. I had a home visit because of my condition which is an option for anyone if requested and they will get back to you with their decision on whether it is accepted or declined. I would also ask if the assessment can be recorded which you need to request in advance as when the decision is made and they give you the reasons on why they came to the decision, you can agree or disagree and tell them your reasons why. I had a bad experience with my assessor, things I 100% didn't say but I had no evidence to prove otherwise and I wasn't mentally strong enough to challenge the decision. It's definitely worth doing, even with my bad experience I would say go for it but I would definitely challenge it if it comes to that, fingers crossed for you.
  • avakarlsson
    Options
    Thank you for the information, I might look into it and phone DWP and see if I can get pip mobility, I know I get daily living which is something, and getting statutory sick pay until it finishes.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi, I got my DLA to PIP award first time round. I had a home based face to face assessment.

Although it was a worrying time, the assessor was pleasant.

Remember to stick to the way doing everyday activities affects you. DWP aren't interested in diagnoses.....just the way you do things ie needing help or a piece of equipment to carry out eg showering,, each activity.
  • avakarlsson
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I had to do a mandatory reconsideration then still didn’t get it then I appealed and gor daily living pip 
  • Martin2019
    Martin2019 Community member Posts: 33 Connected
    Options
    Hi, I applied for PIP early September 2019, then got the F2Face assessment December 2019 and Decision January 2019 so would say it takes approx. 4-6 months. Mine was not awarded but going through Mandatory Consideration.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Hi, I am on the enhanced rate for mobility but got nothing for care. I have a neurological disorder called narcolepsy which isn't widely recognised and I felt because it isn't a visible disability they didn't take me entirely seriously. I am over the moon I got the mobility side but I desperately needed some of the care element too but as I suffer from anxiety so didn't feel mentally strong enough to challenge their decision on the care element. I had a home visit because of my condition which is an option for anyone if requested and they will get back to you with their decision on whether it is accepted or declined. I would also ask if the assessment can be recorded which you need to request in advance as when the decision is made and they give you the reasons on why they came to the decision, you can agree or disagree and tell them your reasons why. I had a bad experience with my assessor, things I 100% didn't say but I had no evidence to prove otherwise and I wasn't mentally strong enough to challenge the decision. It's definitely worth doing, even with my bad experience I would say go for it but I would definitely challenge it if it comes to that, fingers crossed for you.
    Hi,

PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. Everyone is affected differently by these conditions. This means that when filling out the forms you need to put as much information as possible and add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. You need to explain your conditions to them because everyone is different.

Unfortunately., PIP assessments are not recorded by the health assessment providers. If you want to record the assessment you need to use your own equipment, produce 2 identical copies and hand one copy in at the end of the assessment. You also need to ring the health assessment providers before the day of the assessment to tell them that you're recording it. You must also use a CD or tape recorder. Laptops/phones and any other devices are not allowed.

• avakarlsson
    Options
    Yes I am on pip daily living, I don’t no if I would be entitled to mobility too, due to my chronic pain. I did get a few points for mobility but not enough to cover it.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.