Bagpipes at Hogmanay — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bagpipes at Hogmanay

Bettahm
Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
In my experience, people either love them or hate them. I love them!  
Anybody else with a strong feeling, either way?

Happy Hogmanay to everybody, and may 2020 be everything you want it to be x

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I like to hear bagpipes played at a wedding. My niece got married in a church within castle grounds and we were piped from church to castle. Hogmanay is very much the right time to hear bagpipes x
  • Bettahm
    @pollyanna1052
    I love them anytime of year, but guess Hogmanay is the time they're most associated with.
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    edited December 2019
    I can put up with the pipes for a few minutes ....but in our small Scottish village ( not so small now with hundreds of new houses built in fields surrounding us)...there was always someone practising their pipes,  ( there was an award winning pipe band only a few hundred yards from us ....Wallacestone pipe band) .....I prefer the uillean pipes or the Stirling pipes ( played by bellows under one arm and a bag under the other ) I can knock a tune out the pipes ( a lot less noisy than bagpipes ) these days I have not got enough puff to play bagpipes .??
  • Bettahm
    @Seanchai
    Many centuries ago I used to work for Boosey and Hawkes Musical Instruments and they used to buy in bagpipes and practice chanters from a company in Glasgow. But I've never heard of uillean pipes. Just googled them, Irish pipes. And you can play them. I'll have to see if I can find them on YouTube. Love the bagpipes though, must be the Scottish blood in me. Can understand that a learner could sound like cats yowling though!
  • Bettahm
    @Seanchai
    Uillean pipes. Count me in as a fan. Callum Stewart on YouTube, also found a bagpipes/uillean pipes duet. Brilliant!
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    I must watch that Fran ?
  • Bettahm
    @Seanchai
    Yes must admit I've become an overnight fan of the uilleann pipes. Listened to quite a lot now, and sure I know that lovely haunting sound. Just never realised what made it! 

I've always thought the fiddle can sound kind of like bagpipes/uillean pipes. Maybe that's just me.
  • Bettahm
    @Thebluebadger
    Sounds lovely. You know how to bring it in, north of the border.

Brightness