Can my wife claim carer's allowance? — Scope | Disability forum

Can my wife claim carer's allowance?

akjken Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello. I have recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer, I receive PIP but I wonder if my wife can claim carer's allowance, she has to look after me almost all the time as I get weaker. I have looked at the form for carer's allowance and it asks for a breakdown of my PIP payments, is there anyway I can look this up online. Thanks, Alan


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,749 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    HI and welcome.

    I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

    I'm sorry to hear of the diagnosis!

    For your wife to claim carers allowance for looking after you must be claiming daily living PIP. She mustn't be earning any more than £123 per week after deductions. It will also depend on what other benefits, if any she's claiming. See link.

    I'm afraid you won't be able to look online for what PIP award you have. If you're not sure then you can either look at your award letter and it will tell you on there, ring DWP and ask or if you could tell me how much your receive every 4 weeks then i can try to work out what PIP award you have.

    You say the diagnosis is terminal, if it's less than 6 months then do you claim Enhanced rate for both parts of PIP? Also what other benefits do you claim?

    I would also recommend you speak to Macmilan Cancer support and they will give you all the help, support and advice you need. See link.

  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 11,668 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @akjken - Welcome to this very supportive community, 'tho I'm very sorry to read about your diagnosis. I hope you will answer Poppy's questions, as she will be able to help you further.
    If you have any other questions, please do say.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,366

    Scope community team

    Hello @akjken. Just wanted to check in and see how you're getting on? Have you managed to find out whether your award for PIP includes the daily living component?
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.