Studying IT and want to work from home. - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Studying IT and want to work from home.

Options
13»

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Will33, please seek face to face advice about this. I hope Poppy has been able to help here. It is vital that you disclose doing permitted work before you start earning, rather then after.

It would be great to hear how you get on. :)
    Scope

• Will33
    Will33 Community member Posts: 41 Listener
    Options
    Well, the people on this website are right but the people who support my health are saying that if I do IT part-time online course that means that if I do permitted work it will be classed as if I can work full time and my ESA will stop completely and another advisor said I should make money first then report it. The people offline aren't very helpful I don't know what to do? They are professional people also but don't seem to know much about what I need to know and help me well. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,040 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As you're doing an online part time course then this shouldn't have an affect on your ESA claim BUT as i did advise previously that what you do if this contradicts the reasons why you're claiming ESA then yes it could go against you. This includes the college course AND working. It's exactly the same as if someone is either in college or working or both, the same rules apply.

The advice about "should make money first, then report it" is completely wrong. All changes need to be reported and that includes permitted work.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Will33
    Options
    What happens if I make money then tell them will I just have to pay back the ESA and then the ESA will totally stop and what kind of other things will happen no law convictions or anything like that?
  • Will33
    Options
    I am not going to do it but just curious. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,040 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Will33 said:
    What happens if I make money then tell them will I just have to pay back the ESA and then the ESA will totally stop and what kind of other things will happen no law convictions or anything like that?

You need to fill out the PW1 form like i advised and then send it to DWP. As you will be self employed then you will need to keep accounts, which will need to be sent to DWP on a regular basis.

If any earn more than the maximum amount allowed then your ESA will stop, i have advised this a few times.

If you don't tell them your earnings and you have weeks where you go over the maximum amount then you will have an overpayment which will need to be re-paid back. There won't be any convictions.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.