UC - Overnight Care? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC - Overnight Care?

Somebodyelse
Somebodyelse Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited January 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
I received a question in my ‘journal’ recently regarding getting help from‘someone who doesn’t live with you’ Now, I sleep 90% downstairs, The questions asked are. Do you require an extra bedroom for extra help. My husband is my carer. 
When I tick the relevant boxes it replies I no longer need overnight care! 
It doesn’t give an option for someone with a disability that can’t get upstairs yet needs help from her caregiver at least 5 times during the night. I left a note on my journal but there must be something I’m doing wrong. How can something so simple be so complicated? 
Has anyone else had a similar problem?
any advice is appreciated. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,339 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

The reason it's asking you this is because of the additional bedroom that's paid for an overnight carer but because you live with your partner. An overnight carer can't be someone you live with.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Somebodyelse
    Somebodyelse Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Thank You Poppy, 
    My husband, daughter and myself rent the property from my brother who lives abroad. 
    It’s a learning curve. X
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Somebodyelse. It sounds as though they are trying to determine what rate bedroom allowance you are entitled to. Is your husband reported as your carer on your Universal Credit?
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.