respite breaks with care - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

respite breaks with care

2»

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Rifi7 said:
    I have a PA now. She has been my carer for 12 years and we never had a cross word but then social services got involved and suggested putting her in the pay roll. Since then she has abused her position. I have tried to look for a PA but unfortunately most people want to be paid cash in hand.

Have you contacted Care In Finance or your local council that deals with your personal budget like i advised on your other thread?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Rifi7
    Rifi7 Community member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Care in Finance aren’t back until 6th January. Yes I read your thread and yes I will be in contact with them and will arrange for a timesheet to given for my carer to sign, that way she only gets paid for the hours she does.
  • Rifi7
    Poppy12345 Thank you for your advice. Hopefully I will be able to sort out this situation. If it wasn’t for this forum I wouldn’t have found out about the timesheet as Care in Finance had not told me this.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi all....a topic which causes us great hardship and concern.

I`ve never heard of Care in Finance....are they council run?

I have spoken to my Care Charging dept and I did keep kicking against the charges I am forced to pay. Got them down from £82.22 to £59.22 and finally agreed on £39.22...this is PER WEEK! I kept coming up with more things to claim for eg laundry, replacement bedding, electricity usage, wet room loan.No poultry amount to us on low incomes, eh?

I have a carer who has been with me going on 9 years. She was self employed for a few years and then was forced to go on Payroll or I had to sack her. The council say no more self employed carers allowed.
    She used to do 22 hours plus 2 sleepovers, but her mother is ill and so she reduced her hours.

Now she does 16 hours plus 2 sleepovers. It works well.

I recently lost a carer who did 6 hours, but has left as she got more hours elsewhere.

Hence I needed to find a replacement. The hours now since my dreadful re-assessment are bitty....I`m sure no-one else will pick them up.....ie 1.25 hr am  then back for 1 hour pm....anyone driving here for 11 hrs a week at £9.07 an hour gross would be well out of pocket.

So I got an agency...they began on Monday and I was told they were too dear, by my social worker. So I have now to pay even more towards it...£25 a week. Having a PA as opposed to an agency doesn't guarantee cover for holidays and sick.

There`s no-one who will fight the council as they are water tight rigid bureaucrats. We are in their hands. I doubt very much an MP could do anything. Might be worth a try RIfl, but I don't have the energy.

My care costs to me is now £255.22 per month. When I finally pay my mortgage off, they`ll want a hell of a lot more.

We never expected our retirement to go belly up like this.
  • Rifi7
    It’s disgusting. This system they have in place just doesn’t work. When I first needed carers about six years ago, a social worker would come out, do an assessment and do all the paperwork, then a carer would be sent. Now your given an e-card which they say you have more control of your care, but you don’t. The Council are just trying to save on manpower and want us to do their work.

Dont be disheartened. I know you probably tired and I know it drags you down but you can’t let the council get away with it. What have you got to lose. Contact your MP, you might be surprised.
  • Rifi7
    Care in Finance manage my PA payroll. The manage her national insurance, tax and pay her when she’s on holiday. I pay them a fee every month to this, which they take off my e-card. Google them.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Rifi7 said:
    It’s disgusting. This system they have in place just doesn’t work. When I first needed carers about six years ago,

In another thread you said you had recently started receiving care in around April of last year. https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/66305/refusing-care#latest

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Rifi7
    Poppy123456 when I first came on this site I was lost and confused. 

Firstly I was told in February that I was going to eventually lose sensation in my leg and be fully wheelchair bound. After my consultant had diagnosed me, then I got visits from social services, occupational therapist and the wheelchair people.

Then I was told my carer who I had for 12 years would be on the payroll and that kind of messed things up with us as she had started to change and abuse her position. I also had to adapt to a new care agency coming at the weekend. 

Then my twin brother got diagnosed with cancer in May and died in July. Burying my twin brother was the worst thing that could have ever happened to me.

At the time of coming on this forum I didn’t want to adapt to another carer as I didn’t want to except that I needed help. It all seemed overwhelming and I was confused, so yes I didn’t know what I needed. I have another carer now who visits at the weekend and she’s very nice, but still I don’t like the fact I need someone.

Brightness