becoming a hoarder — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

becoming a hoarder

icarus
icarus Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
hi everyone i have always been a mechanics/electronics enthusiast i have a large very untidy workshop where i enjoy making and repairing things  The problem is i have not accepted how much slower i am since my accident 10 years ago 
i have collected far too many parts to build projects from 
old bicycles and motor cycles 
2 kit cars in bits
boxes of circuit boards
solar panels
sheet glass
2scooters 
stiga industral mower
boxes of motors
small engines 
pumps
3 trailers 
the problem is that the garden sheds and rear concrete area are getting piled with my junk and it is badly upsetting my wife and sons 

I realise that i am becoming a hoarder 
any ideas ive sold a few items but its hard work cleaning listing checking them for sale -not going quick enough and i have to resist the urge to collect more

Comments

• Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    Yep Icarus ...I know exactly what you mean my fellow hoarder ...it looks like you took that inventory in my outhouses ( apart from the kit cars) ...i was an mechanical engineer in my working life ..and i have so much ' stuff ' in my sheds that I cannot move , I would need another 50 years to get through it all and fix what I,m going to fix ...alas I have not got a lot of years left . ?? What makes matters worse is that friends and neighbours think ...."why is that implement not working ...oh...I know the very man that will fix it ."...and I end up with something else that just needs a few days to make it like new again . It's getting beyond a family joke now only today my son got a new mower in the sales , so I got his old one, which is working ok but just needs a good service and blades sharpened ?..so that's another small project ...even my attic in the west wing is full of " goodies" ...goodies that will end up in the skip when I shed off this mortal coil ?? if my family and friends and neighbours read this ...."PLEASE ...NO MORE " ...imm afraid they wee how excited I get when I get a new project to work on . One of my sheds is over 70 years old and needs a bit work on it ( in the summer ) ...but it will not be me who us climbing up on the roof to fix it ...that's for sure ...
    Be ruthless ( unlike me) and say "No more projects" ?????
  • Positivitymighthelp
    Positivitymighthelp Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I feel you, I'm sort of a hoarder, must have been inherited from my late dad who left tons of stuff for my family to sort out. I hate wasting things, I always have ideas of how to reuse things and make them worth something again. Problem, I'm not really having any background knowledge on really making stuff ( medical professional) and lately too much pain to get started or simply not enough space to move stuff around, I'm interested in things from big boy welding to sewing and embroidery( I'm a girl by the way) but only a few of my genius ideas are coming alive and are brought to the finish line..... it's getting better , but I'm nowhere near where I wanna be and this pain is crippling me....

• icarus
    the things i havent had time to make are sketched out. .There is nothing new under the sun Be great by improving existing items Dont re-invent the wheel- and dont spend days making a wheel if you can pull one off something else. It can be enjoyable planning the next project i learnt to weld by watching videos and other welders. I learnt how to re gas a refrigerator from youtube the training is out there have a craft corner or shed to work in  .- yes it often hurts like hell---- but life is good find folk to share your interests 2 people achieve 3 or 4 times more than one alone.
  • icarus
    perhaps the horders should have a monthly swap and meet  or a show and tell "heres one i made earlier"
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @icarus, it sounds like you got great joy from doing this before your accident. I can understand the need to still collect, but it's good that you have noticed this.

Here is a page on MIND about hoarding which also goes into ways to help.

You also might find this organisation helpful:
    Help for Hoarders
    helpforhoarders.co.uk
    Help for people experiencing hoarding and their families, including support groups and an online forum.
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @icarus. Have you tried Hoarding Disorders UK? They might be able to give you some support getting organised and shifting some bits.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • icarus
    hadnt heard of them-- thanks i will take a look
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @icarus, how have things been? :)
    Scope

• icarus
    hi been busy re-building mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs and sticking them on ebay
     adrien sent me details of a hoarders group but its in Bracknell The organisers sent me details of a Leicester group that meets fortnightly at a local fire station hope to start going to meetings and  hoping to take a family friend with me . She collects cloth and clothes - she is having an awful time every room in house is full no kitchen no bedrooms --sleeps in lounge  + family wont visit as cant stay with her + no internet as cant get into room where router is located boiler not working and not accessible so no heating small electric fire only but not presently willing to throw anything away we are very worried about her mental health very depressed at the moment doesnt answer door to many people  makes my problem seem tiny dont know how we can help her more  
  • icarus
    Hi Chloe  wow  saw adriens post and didnt see yours brilliant!!! thanks --- just started exploring the links and groups thanks will let you know how it goes.  started telling everyone about my hoarding problem  no point hiding it 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @icarus, this sounds like a really positive step forward! Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

Brightness