Council Housing — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Council Housing

Cybertren
Cybertren Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi

I applied for council housing 22/23 days ago, I never lived on my own before. I don't know what to expect or how long it will take for the letter to arrive. Any Advice on living on my own as a disabled person.

Cybertren

Comments

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    @Cybertren, to qualify for disabled council properties you will need to have an Occupational Therapy report to prove what your needs are. If you don't already have one then this can take 2-3 months (in my area) to get done. Without such a report you will be assessed based on whether you need a property, what your immediate situation is and whether there are any extraneous reasons for helping you. It's difficult to comment too far without more detail.

I got into my current property around 5 years ago or so because I had an OT report that stated my privately rented property was unsuitable mostly due to stairs. I was graded as a requirement level "C" and not allowed to bid on some suitable properties. I was fortunate to have a contact who contacted them on my behalf and got my requirement raised to "B" and added in the missing property types. I think it took a couple of months to get it right and get confirmation applied to my online bidding account. It then took around 6 months and 4 or 5 viewings before I was offered something appropriate.

With a general shortage of council property it is very difficult to get things right and done in a reasonable amount of time and if a persons situation isn't particularly bad it can be very hard to even get on the list. Moving out from mum and dad (for example) is not a good reason and unlikely to even get the chance to bid. Bad health and unsuitability is the more obvious way forward but things like abuse are treated fairly reasonably. Being homeless, especially if a person's own fault, is almost impossible to get help with.

If a person gets rated as "C" I have been informed is likely to take a couple of years for a proper council property especially if single and no children are involved but this is only hearsay and will vary from area to area. Almost certainly though, without special health needs, an interim situation may be considered such as B&B or some very small bed-sit type situations.

Personally, if I were you, I would expect bad treatment, lots of irate phone calls to them and very slow moving people trying to get things right (in their terms not yours).

Getting rated as requirement "A" is almost impossible. The only case I have heard of was to get a person out of a hospital bed and into Community Care.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2019
    Hello @Cybertren   Pleased to meet you.

I am one of the team of community champions.

Please if I can make some relevant points.

First see if you can get any support with any housing issues you have.

Do you have a support worker or a social worker very useful dealing with problems.

Health conditions you have.   Ask the council to help or if have certain conditions, illness will supply relevant organisations.

If you contact me, also mental health an example has floating support advised here . Offer a lot of help, guidance so on.

Councils have for members of our community have a look on their website. Aspects of assistance, help and guidance.

Second there is an alternatives look at other options.

I use Housing Associations often supported homes with assisted living.

This is mine .

https://www.homegroup.org.uk.

Look at other aspects of being on your own.

Money, finance and being using a lot of common sense.

Use diaries planner be a contact any friends or support you need.

Plan organise make sure you have enough money to live on. Pay bills, make sure using direct debits banking on line easier to look at everything.

On line Utility Companies use them, easier to contact on line chat.

Plan food, shopping look on line for AMAZON others things for home.  On line shopping groceries good ideas.

Speak to companies on line for anything electrical ,household.

Might need some one to install cookers, washing machines, fridge.  Carpets I use laminate flooring.

Various websites councils might help you here.

One final point make sure that you need to inform Doctors or any one who is supporting you.

I hope every thing works out any thing else can help with please ask.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,339 Disability Gamechanger
    Cybertren said:
    Hi

I applied for council housing 22/23 days ago, I never lived on my own before. I don't know what to expect or how long it will take for the letter to arrive. Any Advice on living on my own as a disabled person.

Cybertren

Hi,

Do you mean you applied to go onto a list for housing? If so then you could be in for a rather long wait i'm afraid. It's not as easy as that to get a social housing property, even if you're disabled and it can be even more difficult if you're a single person. Waiting lists for these types of properties are very often many years long. If you don't live in the area in which you want to move to then you need to have a local connection to that area too.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Cybertren and a very warm welcome to the community! How are things going?
    Scope

• Cybertren
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Glad to hear it @Cybertren! If there is anything else we can do then please do let us know. :)
    Scope

• Cybertren
    @Topkitten hi, they had me fill out a form for their housing occupation therapist to review. 
  • scraggs
    scraggs Community member Posts: 76 Courageous
    I have been given by the council a small Bungalow but since recieving the keys and then the pandemic I cannot move into it. I have no flooring it's been cancelled and I need all the white goods or cooker etc I have sencondry progressive ms and COPD so I am isolated and cannot move into it however the council have sent me council tax bill and taking rent even though they know I cannot move into it and it's completely empty! The council have said I can give it up? But that's not an option as I was homeless for 3 years and had to fight for this place I am not willing to give it up? I really don't know what to do . Any ideas anyone ❤️
  • thespiceman
    Hello @scraggs   Pleased to meet you.

Sorry to hear  this.

Please if you could contact your local CAB office there should be some one to advise your housing situations, I can imagine very feeling very stressed and anxious.

Is it a difficult situation and we do understand.

I do have the following charity for your MS .

https://www.mssociety.org.uk

Helpline 0808 800 8000

Please may I suggest call them see what they can advise and help with. Just know a lot of charities often have teams that may be able to just speak on your behalf.

Please if there is anything else I can do please let me know.

Please take care and safe.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • scraggs
    Thankyou spiceman for your reply it has helped me alot ?
  • thespiceman
    edited April 2020
    Hello @scraggs   Please have the link for CAB . Please there is a lot to look at may I suggest write it down or down load .

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk

Advice Line 03444 111 444

Have on line advisors as well speak to them another idea, if experiencing problems telephone.

Please if I can help with any thing else please ask.

Pleasure to be supportive, I have been in a situation like yourself.

I do understand  have compassion and empathy.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • scraggs
    I have struggled to get housed but cannot move in I do have a special number to phone at cab that only deal with people with ms my ms gave me it. But phoned last year and was told someone would get back to me and the same in February as I was homeless but no one got back to me so reported it to local ms support to me that the phone number I was given by ms nurse should be direct help for people with ms but now I have a home so not homeless but in actual fact I am as cannot move in ? I'm sure I have been destined to be left on the shelf ? as others I know with ms have every help possible. Am I doing something wrong ? It puzzles me ? I have been treated awfull in the last 3 years with no help whatsoever which has had big impact on my health but they didn't seem to care at all the nicest help I have had so far is from yourself and I really appreciate it and thankyou once again spiceman 
  • thespiceman
    Hello @scraggs   Thank for the kind words.

Found this for COPD.

https://www.blf.org.uk

Helpline 03000 030 555

British Lung Foundation.

Hopes that helps even more.

Please I forge this as well.

SHELTER

Although deals with homelessness .

Has a lot of advice on other housing issues give them a  call or go to the website.

https://www.shelter.org.uk

Helpline 0808 800 4444

Please take care, keep in touch.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes

Brightness