Claiming carer's allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Claiming carer's allowance

Taz68
Taz68 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi everyone I am new on this site.
If anyone can give me any advice it would be greatly appreciated. 
I suffer from Vascular disease in my legs left is far worse and I can't walk very far so I have a blue badge I also get pip and get full mobility with a car. I also help look after my mum who has terminal cancer, but does not yet need any carers to come in. She receives full DLA and has a blue badge herself. She was mentioning about claiming carers allowance so she can give me something for helping her, I also work 10hrs a week in a residential home but I just do manicures and polish so I am sat down, I spread the hrs over a couple of days.
Would claiming carers affect what I claim myself.
???

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

Claiming Carers allowance for your mum could affect any benefits she may already be claiming for herself. You need to check that she's not claiming a Severe disability premium in any of her benefits. If she does then you claiming carers allowance will stop this disability premium, which could affect any other benefits she may already be claiming.

If she doesn't claim that then you mustn't be earning anymore than £123 per week after deductions. May i also ask if you receive any other benefits besides PIP?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Taz68 and a warm welcome to the community, is there anything we can do to help? :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.