Hi my name is Emma Jane — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi my name is Emma Jane

EmmaJane
EmmaJane Scope Member Posts: 32 Courageous
Hi I'm Emma Jane and I'm new here. I have a number of disabilities and health issues and I'm in a wheelchair. I hope to chat to others in a similar situation here.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @EmmaJane - I would just like to welcome you into this great community. Most of us have problems that affect our daily living. I'm not a wheelchair user, but many are, or may use a wheelchair occasionally. Hopefully you'll get to hear from some of them.
    What other problems are you facing? Sometimes others here will understand, or be able to advise.

• Rifi7
    Rifi7 Community member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Hi Emma,
    Welcome! I have spina bifida and I’m not yet in wheelchair but I don’t see it being long until I am as I’m losing sensation in my legs. Like you I would like to connect with people in a similar situation. How long have you been in wheelchair?
  • EmmaJane
    Hi and thanks for replying! Apart from being in a wheelchair I have some genetic and hormone abnormalities that gives me a lot of problems like excess oestrogen and other things that I don't really understand to be honest. I do remember being able to walk a little when I was much younger but I have been in a wheelchair a long time and I don't expect it to get any better but I try not to let it stop me from doing things as much as I can  :) 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @EmmaJane :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Rifi7
    Hi Emma Jane.
    When you say you want to meet people in a similar situation, what do you mean by that? Do you mean people in wheelchairs or people that have health issue?

• EmmaJane
    Thanks @Ami2301! @Rifi7 I haven't really thought i through that much, I just meant people in general  :) 
  • Rifi7
    Emma Jane Im also looking foe people similar to my situation who I can connect with.  I’m soon going to become fully wheelchair bound and I won’t lie, I’m a little worried how I’m going to cope. I try to talk to family and friends but because the are all able bodied they don’t really get it. I know now it’s all about adapting but it’s hard and I’m just taking each day as it comes. What would you like to talk about Emma Jane? How can we help on this forum?
  • EmmaJane
    Well @Rifi7  I can certainly understand that you're worried but I think it's important to try to have a positive attitude - I know thats not always easy! And it's certainly true that able bodied people can't understand our issues. That's not their fault it's just how it is. That's partly why I'm here, to connect with people who are more like me. I'm 28 and female, obviously lol! I work from home and I live alone but I get out and about as much as I can. And I'm happy to talk about pretty much anything.
  • Rifi7
    Emma Jane I also live alone, well kind of, I have a dog. I used to work but don’t work anymore. What work do you Emma?
  • Rifi7
    Emma Jane Do you have family near you?
  • EmmaJane
    Rifi I don't have any pets I would like to have a cat but my front door doesn't open to the outside so I don't think it would be fair. I work in financial services/investment management. Unfortunately my mother lives about a 2 hour drive away so I don' get to see her as often as Id like. I don't see th rest of my family any more for personal reasons.
  • Rifi7
    That’s a shame you don’t get to see your mum often. Well it’s good that you have a job to keep you busy. How was your Christmas and New Year?
  • EmmaJane
    Christmas was great thank you! But unfortunately both me and my mum went down with the sickness bug just after that which was pretty bad for a couple of days. Then we went to London for a day out but my car broke down so had to be towed back to her house and That's where I still am now because my car hasn't been fixed yet, I can't use public transport or it's very difficult, and my mum doesn't drive that far. Still I am being very well looked after so can't complain  :D 
  • Rifi7
    That’s nice you spent Christmas with your mum, but sorry you both came down with sickness and a bug. My sister and all her family have come down with bad colds and everyone I seem to talk to has come down with this nasty cold. Fingers crossed I haven’t come down with anything. 
  • EmmaJane
    Thanks, we are both much better now  :) I hope you stay well!
  • Rifi7
    Your welcome. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @EmmaJane. Just wanted to say hello and ask how you're getting on finding your way around the community?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • EmmaJane
    Hi @Adrian_Scope . I'm finding my way around ok thank you. I haven't said much yet as I'm very shy but I do hope to when i can :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Glad to hear it @EmmaJane. Let us know if you need anything. We'll be happy to help. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • EmmaJane
    Thanks @Adrian_Scope , I will when I know what I need! :)

Brightness