Hi, my name is doreengarrett! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is doreengarrett!

doreengarrett
doreengarrett Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I am 66 now and have been physically challenged since age 16 when I had a 'red' stroke following a ruptured cerebral aneurysm. Like most people in our position, I have coped with my life in the best way I could. I was awarded a lifetime aware of middle rate for care and higher rate for mobility on DLA in the 1980s when my doctor advised me to apply as if developed spine and feet osteo arthritis (which caused a lot of personal care things and walking any distance to be very painful and virtually impossible at times) and chronic plantar fasciitis of both feet. Suddenly, I have now been awarded only standard rate for both (10 points for mobility) on PIP. Strange they've found such an improvement in me, because I certainly haven't found it...on the contrary! Anyway, I look forward to virtually getting to know everyone!

Comments

• WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @doreengarrett
                                  Welcome to the community and thank you for joining us. I am sorry to hear of your current situation, please do ask any questions you may have as there will be someone who will be able to help. Please feel free to look around the community and join in with any conversations which may be of interest to you, there are many lovely people on the community and we are all here to support one another. Thank you. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @doreengarrett - Welcome to the community from me too! I have a genetic disorder which has resulted in generalised osteoarthrosis in my joints also. Like yourself I had the same award of DLA, then had to migrate to PIP (getting the same award & points as yourself again!) I asked for a Mandatory Reconsideration & then got the enhanced rate for mobility.
    So, I'm just wondering when you got your decision letter, as going for a Mandatory Reconsideration may be possible. It's important, however, to realise that PIP isn't about any diagnoses, but rather how your disability affects you. Understanding the PIP 'descriptors' is therefore very helpful.
  • doreengarrett
    Hi Chiarieds, I have another medical coming up as I had a minor stroke in July and was advised by the CAB to inform the DWP, so I can but hope! Thanks for taking the time to send me your advice though. I'm glad you've had a successful outcome!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    Hi and welcome.

I note that you are now 66, this means that you will not be able to claim Enhanced rate mobility. You will remain on the standard mobility for as long as you're entitled to it.

If you had been awarded it when the previous decision then you would have continued to receive it for as long as you remain entitled to it. Did your local CAB explain this to you when they advised you to inform DWP of your worsening of condition?

It would have been much better if you had requested the mandatory reconsideration for your existing award, providing the decision was made within the last 13 months, rather than put in a change of circumstances. Sadly, that's too late now because this new decision will overrule your current award.

Also do be aware that when reporting a worsening of condition you must have had that condition for at least 3 months and expect it to last at least a further 9 months.

The new rules for those of state pension age and above means that everyone will receive a 10 year award with a light touch review.

Good luck with the assessment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    My apologies for misunderstanding @doreengarrett - I'm sorry to read you you've had a minor stroke on top of everything else. Had you had a recent PIP decision, I was going to ask another here to come & advise you. I was fortunate to be successful with the Mandatory Reconsideration as only about 18% of people are. However, if I'd joined this community earlier, I might not have had to go through that, as there's such excellent advice given here!
    I'm pleased to read you've had some local help from the CAB. I presume this is another assessment you're then going to have due to a change in your disabilities. If you'd like to do a little homework beforehand, I'll include a link to the DWP's guidance to the health care professionals doing assessments. If you look at the 'descriptors' that are applicable to your own situation in this link, then give a couple of examples as to the difficulties you faced when you recently attempted them at your assessment, this may be helpful. See: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @doreengarrett and a very warm welcome to the community. Best of luck with your upcoming assessment and I hope both Poppy and Chiaried's advice has been useful. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • doreengarrett
    Thank you. Yes, the advice is useful, and I'm really grateful to everyone for the support.
  • chiarieds
    Hi @doreengarrett - I have meant to get back to you. I have some understanding of PIP having had to go through the process myself, as I've mentioned. Unfortunately what happened the other day was, I started to reply to you, then stopped to have my tea, & didn't go back to see that you'd already had a reply from Poppy, who knows way more than I about PIP, when I later posted my reply.
    Her information is absolutely correct (I had forgotten your age). So, sadly, as Poppy mentions, you will no longer be able to get an enhanced award as far as the mobility component goes. I had been going to ask her advice.
    I also hope your assessment goes well, & please do let us know.

Brightness