Esa medical — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa medical

gerrys6
gerrys6 Community member Posts: 171 Courageous
I have a medical tomorrow but am suffering with a sickness bug I’ve put it off once from last week what should I do ? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    Hi,

Usually you can only cancel the appointment once. I'd advise you to ring the health assessment providers and tell them about the bug that you have.

Hope you feel better soon.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • gerrys6
    Thank s poppy I actually feel
    scared to ring them ! 
  • kenny1967
    kenny1967 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Don't feel frightened to call them. In fact you may find them more helpful than you expect. 
    But please DO call them if you cannot attend, otherwise your benefit payment maybe stopped & you would need to provide a very good reason for cancellation (ie doctors evidence ) 
    Give them a call as soon as possible to reschedule another appointment.
    Hope you feeling better soon & good luck with your medical 
  • poppy123456
    gerrys6 said:
    Thank s poppy I actually feel
    scared to ring them ! 

As it's a sickness bug, is there a possibility that you could be feeling better by tomorrow? What time is your appointment?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • gerrys6
    They were not helpful rang at 8 she was quite clinical cannot reschedule and I’d receive a letter from Dwp if I don’t  attend to provide the reason why .... if that reason is accepted I’d get another appointment . Now what I expect if I don’t go the benefit will be cut before the letter even gets here. Should I ring my local Jobcentre plus? Or just attend and throw up or worse in the centre !.
  • poppy123456
    Don't ring your local jobcentre because they won't be able to help you. You would need to ring DWP/ESA and explain to them.  Failure to attend can lead to you being found fit for work yes and you will need evidence why you didn't attend, it can be a long process.

I you do attend then you'll pass the bug onto others and i'm sure they won't appreciate that. It's a difficult situation and only you can decide what to do. What time is your appointment?
  • gerrys6
    It’s 1.45 I’m going to have a lay down see if I feel better I simply have to go won’t I as I’ve read that u d have to be near death to have a good reason to not turn up
  • gerrys6
    I Went to the medical she asked loads of questions only related to my mental health nothing physical ? Is this normal I’m sure I was looked at physically before ? 
  • poppy123456
    Sometimes they will only ask you questions about the condition they think that will apply for a certain group. Did you put down on the form about your physical condition?

All you can do is wait a week and ring DWP to request a copy of the report to be sent to you, once you receive it you'll have some idea what the decision is likely to be.
  • gerrys6
    yes and I have a stomach condition that I brought the results of the colonoscopy with me she looked at it entered it into the computer and never photo copied it I thought that odd too ? Plus the arthritis she never mentioned that at all . Just my mental health. 
  • poppy123456
    It doesn't really mean anything if a condition wasn't mentioned. It's possible they already had enough of information about your other conditions and the only questions they had to ask were about your mental health.
  • gerrys6
    Thx I tend to overthink every single thing 
  • kenny1967
    kenny1967 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    I think we are all guilty of overthinking things, I do it all the time.
    Thankfully it's over & you can relax. I hope the outcome of your WCA medical is a very positive one for you :-)
  • gerrys6
    I asked for a copy of the report. It was in my favour. It says the client was found to meet the criteria for limited capability for work and work related activity does this suggest I go into support group or stay in the lcw group. 
    So It was that she only asked about my mental health because that alone showed that I’m not capable of working. 
    She said a lot of other stuff too from observing me so I just need to hope the decision maker agrees.

• gerrys6
    also says at the bottom of the report “the available evidence suggests review in the medium term”... what does that mean ?... says also overall severe functional impairment due to her mental health problems seem likely . What does that mean anyone got any idea please ?. 
  • poppy123456
    That's a support group recommendation. Length of time, there is any because they can reassess you anytime from 3 months.

severe functional impairment means your mental health affects what you're able to do. It was most probably regulation 35 that has got you a recommendation for this group.

• gerrys6
    So review in the medium term is not an actual time limit ? Because in the lcw non support group it’s review yearly isn’t it . Well if I do get the support group I shall be obviously well pleased as the stress of thinking you have to get well because they ll try to get you to start doing courses or interviews is awful. Stressful and nerve wracking .
  • poppy123456
    Once the decision is made you can ring DWP and they'll give you a timescale but as i advised, they can reassess you anytime from 3 months and this applies to both groups.
  • gerrys6
    Is the support group more money ? I’ve tried looking online but I can’t work it out. I was on the lcw work related activity group and if I am put in the support group does the actual Esa go up and does that mean I’m eligible for a disability premium or would I be getting that already again I can’t work it out from the online figures and I can’t find last years award letter .
  • gerrys6
    thanks @poppy123456 you ve been really helpful . 
    What is rule 35? 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.