Carer's Grant — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carer's Grant

Options
lisabrazil80
lisabrazil80 Community member Posts: 94 Courageous
Hi could someone explain to me how do I claim the new carer's Grant it says that I am entitled to 1700 carer's Grant on the 4th of June 2020 it says that I should have got it automatically if I claim carer's allowance or any other benefit but I didn't receive it last June can someone explain to me how I apply for this or how do I claim it and can I claim the one I missed last year as well I really hope someone can help me shed some light on this thank you so much as a carer

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,046 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

This is for those living in Northern Ireland only. If you live in the UK you won't be able to apply because it doesn't exist here.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Hello, a quick look on line confirms what poppy has stated, you must be a residency of the Irish state.
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 502 Pioneering
    Options
    However Local Authorities (in England) do have the power to award carer's Grants and this is done via an assessment (nothing to do with whether or not you get Carers Allowance)   But I imagine not all LAs actually do them.  In my area, Cumbria, the assessments are carried out by the local Carers Association who then make a recommendation to Adult Social Care.  As I understand it this is for carers of adults only and I think the max here is about £1500.  So it is definitely worth contacting your local Carers organisation as they should know if your LA does these or not.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    However Local Authorities (in England) do have the power to award carer's Grants and this is done via an assessment (nothing to do with whether or not you get Carers Allowance)   But I imagine not all LAs actually do them.  In my area, Cumbria, the assessments are carried out by the local Carers Association who then make a recommendation to Adult Social Care.  As I understand it this is for carers of adults only and I think the max here is about £1500.  So it is definitely worth contacting your local Carers organisation as they should know if your LA does these or not.

Hi,

Do you have a link for this please? despite my searching i can't find any information regarding this. I'm assuming that because all local councils are different then this isn't available to everyone.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 502 Pioneering
    Options
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Thanks for that. Having read that the grant in question is definitely dependent on local council and a carers assessment would be needed but it's not guaranteed money.

Some also offer respite, some don't. In my previous local council i was given respite money as a top up to my daughters personal budget but my new local council do not offer this.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.