PIP is due to end in November 2020 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP is due to end in November 2020

hfr2000
hfr2000 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
edited January 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I have Autism OCD generalised anxiety disorder and depression my pip is due to end in November 2020 I thought you get reviewed a year before your award ends but I haven’t got a review form yet. Has the reviews changed? I’m very stressed about all this  

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,349 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope. Reviews for PIP are now taking place 6 months before the award is due to end, if you were awarded by DWP.

If you were awarded by a Tribunal then you'll be contacted by DWP about 14 weeks before the award is due to end. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • hfr2000
    I was awarded by DWP so I should get a review around May then? I’m very stressed about it I work part time and feel they will use that against me! 
  • poppy123456
    Yes around May you will receive the review forms. When filling them out you should put as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you, adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Send relevant evidence with the form to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this.

People do work and claim PIP but if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming PIP then it could go against you.

Expect a face to face assessment because most people have them, even for reviews.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • hfr2000
    Okay thank you, I find it hard to explain things I struggle with as have been taught all my life to focus on what I can do not what I can’t so for dressing and undressing should I explain that on most days I can’t even cope with getting dressed in the morning or find the energy to brush my teeth etc? 
  • poppy123456
    No problem. There's no specific wording to use just tell it how it is, with as much detail as possible BUT without telling your life story.

You need to tell them why you don't have the energy to do this and what happens when you do get dressed. Who helps you? do you use an aid, need prompting or assistance? if so why do you need this?

You say you work, do you work from home or another location? if it's another location then how do you manage to dress on the days you work?
  • hfr2000
    I I’ve had my job since I was 16 I clean a primary school in the evening I cope with that as I don’t have to engage with other people as there is no one else there when im working my mum gets me up and makes sure I’m ready to leave the house etc it’s part of my routine going to work. 
  • poppy123456
    Then you will need to tell them this in the form because one of the questions during the assessment could be "do you work"
  • hfr2000
    Okay thank you, I’ll try not to worry about this until May time I hope I give enough evidence I won’t need a face to face. 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. I would advise you to expect a face to face assessment because most people have them. Paper based assessments are rare.
  • hfr2000
    Okay I’m all prepared I have my mum and occupational therapist and go on hand if needed I also have all my appointment letters even though they say not to send them. If I don’t get it I will appeal. 
  • poppy123456
    Future appointment letters are not classed as evidence and won't be accepted because it doesn't tell them anything other than you have an appointment sometime in the future.
  • hfr2000
    would it be helpful if my mum wrote a supporting letter or would this not be accepted? Also what’s the percentage of award review success? 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @hfr2000 - Welcome to the community from me too. My friend poppy123456 has given you excellent advice. You should expect a face to face assessment about May this year, and please follow her suggestions.
    Please also ask your Mum to look at this link, as it may be helpful as she knows you so well. With this your Mum might see where you may gain points, & why. See: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria
    Hope this helps you.

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @hfr2000   Pleased to meet you .

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of Community Champions.

I have mental health issues, with addiction history.  Also a disability.

I use my knowledge, expertise and experience to advise, support, offer suggestions, guidance to many members of our community.

Have qualifications in diet and nutrition advise, guide on that as well.

Addiction and any further advice, guidance, information on that.

Please can I suggest the following.  Please can you read this information, advice carefully.

This is useful, informative.

Please can I advise any information my friend @poppy123456 and my friend  @chiarieds has given you please make notes for future reference.

The benefits system is confusing, complex a useful thing to do.

I would also use the following mental health charities.

I noticed from reading you have an occupational therapist. That is fine by the way.  Should be offering to send a report or helping you with any forms, if not then .

I would still contact any of the listed charities.

All work together with any one else. I have had health workers, addiction counsellors, any one else including floating support from Council teams

This is totally different these organisations all advise, offer the following.

Floating support, health, welfare and benefit advice.

Benefit advice includes filling in the forms for you, with you in attendance.

Assessments and anything else attendance. Speak on your behalf. Might send a report in any form you need.

The charities are.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.

You can self refer or speak to your GP.  Might not be in any areas.

This more information, guidance and advice.

Please consider any of this please it is to do with health and wellbeing.

Anxiety mental health there are certain foods to avoid which can cause more problems.

To avoid the following.  Caffeine in Tea, Coffee, Cola, Chocolate.

Alcohol. All are stimulants makes the anxiety symptoms worse.

When we get anxious we reach for some thing to comfort soothe us.

Unfortunately this means may consume more causing the symptoms to be worse.

Eat a well balanced diet. Include Whole grains. Bread, Pasta, Rice, Pulses, Beans.

Plenty of Fruit, Vegetables. Eggs, Lean Meat, Chicken, Turkey.

Nuts are useful avoid if you have allergies, any Leafy Greens, Broccoli, Spinach, Kale.

Milky drinks warmed with Honey aids restful sleep as does Whole meal Toast with Honey.

Yoghurt Natural, Greek.  

Please always consult your GP.  Any advice on anything I have suggested

If you taking anything.  Medication just a precaution.

Please also speak to your  Community Health Unit. They run a well being service looking at any thing diet, nutritional.

Please if you have anything to ask be happy to answer.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    hfr2000 said:
    would it be helpful if my mum wrote a supporting letter or would this not be accepted? Also what’s the percentage of award review success? 

All you can do is send it, they will either use it or they won't. The letter should include the descriptors which apply and why.

• hfr2000
    Thanks for all the information, I see from pip statistics that 74% of award reviews are successful so that has put my mind at rest. In many ways my Heath has got worse since I was awarded pip in 2017, When I claimed pip first time I only had Autism and OCD. But have now also been diagnosed with other mental conditions.
    One thing I wanted to ask about was the discriptor about planning and following a journey. What’s the main differences between each discriptor ? As they all seem very similar.
  • hfr2000
    Also does anyone have a link to the pip award review so I can see what the form looks like? :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    The form should be completed with as much information as possible, &, because the space on the form is limited, just add extra pages to it at the end. You should give as much information as you did with your first PIP claim. Again, whilst a new diagnosis can be listed, it's how your disabilities affect your daily life or mobility that matter.

• poppy123456
    Please remember that PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

For following and planning a journey points scoring then it totally depends on how your conditions affect you.

If you didn't then i'd advise you to do that.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.