A lil bit of advice please. Universal Credit - Careers Element. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

A lil bit of advice please. Universal Credit - Careers Element.

Ma_Ma_Me0w
Ma_Ma_Me0w Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Good even all, 
I have been in receipt of UC since September 22nd. When we joined we informed our adviser that my partner had been caring for me for some time, my needs are rather high and I was also awaiting my PIP Assessment.
On Monday we were awarded PIP backdated to August 13th. We contacted the UC Hotline to inform them, they advised doing this via the online portal. When we did that it informed us we may have been underpaid due to caring responsibilities and maybe due a back payment. Our Case Worker at the Belfast Office has agreed and said she will work out how much it will be and let us know in due course. 
Our regular UC installment is due 29th and previously included. Couples 25+, one child element and rent.
We were not intending on claiming carers allowance only the element due to the 1:1 claw back. 
We were wondering:
A) How long the calculations really take - is there any timescales or best practice guidelines for this?
B) How long will it take for our route payment to adjust to include the carers element? We informed on Tuesday 14th and our regular assessment period runs 23rd-22nd.
C) Would the backpay and regular payments come together or will it be separate?

Just been running financially on empty for months now and really want to know what's happening finances wise going forward. Any info would be appreciated. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope.

There's no timescales but as you did report that your partner is a carer when you first claimed UC then there's no reason why you shouldn't be backdated the money that's owed to you, which will be from the date you applied for UC and not from when you were awarded PIP.

Backdated money owed can be paid at anytime and isn't always paid in with your usual monthly money. Hopefully you're not waiting too long. I'd leave it a week and if you haven't heard anything then chase it up with your case manager.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Ma_Ma_Me0w!

I hope you don't have to wait too long and please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.