Funding a wheelchair — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Funding a wheelchair

Options
mrswiggy
mrswiggy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi I'm a disabled mummy 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @mrswiggy how are you doing today? :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @mrswiggy

Good Morning it’s great to meet you today?

I’m part of a team of Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Please please let me know if I need to give you a hand ? in getting around ????

@steve51
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Options
    A warm welcome to the community @mrswiggy
  • mrswiggy
    mrswiggy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I've recently had sepsis and I'm pretty much stuck in bed currently.. 

My I pick your brains about something? Wheelchairs ... I've relented and said yes it's time (before sepsis) but we will have to self fund. Has anyone done this, my friend set up a GoFundMe. 

I just want to be able to do things with my kids 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @mrswiggy - I'd just like add my welcome to the community too. Are you not able to get a wheelchair from the NHS? Have you asked your GP about it? Just my thoughts being that if you had a physio assessment they would hopefully be able to find the sort of wheelchair that might be best for you, or other aids that might be helpful. I'll send this link just in case: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/care-services-equipment-and-care-homes/walking-aids-wheelchairs-and-mobility-scooters/
    If you do indeed need to buy a wheelchair, you can buy from the following company without paying VAT, so many manual wheelchairs are about £100. See: https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/

• Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Options
    mrswiggy said:
    I've recently had sepsis and I'm pretty much stuck in bed currently.. 

My I pick your brains about something? Wheelchairs ... I've relented and said yes it's time (before sepsis) but we will have to self fund. Has anyone done this, my friend set up a GoFundMe. 

I just want to be able to do things with my kids 
    hello there 

Depending on the type of wheelchair you are looking for costs can certainly run into the £1000s, your local wheelchair services should be able to provide something at a basic level, if you wanted something more lightweight and better looking perhaps look into your disability charity or ask at the local CAB or library for local charities who may be able to help

If it is a an electric chair you may be considering Mobility Trust are a good charity to look into

failing that as you say go fund me pages, facebook groups, local media appeals may be a good way to fund

i hope you get something in the near future
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Hi @mrswiggy and a warm welcome to the community! I'm sorry you are struggling with mobility.

Your GP will be able to refer you to wheelchair services if they believe this to be suitable. There is also some more information about funding on the Scope website.

If you'd only be wanting to use it for a short period of time then looking at hiring a chair from The Red Cross might be a possibility for you.

Here are some other articles that might be useful:
    Where to buy used disability equipment
    There are many ways to find used disability equipment. 

Local disability charities often sell used equipment so it’s worth looking for one near you. 

Equipment manufacturers may sell their used products so it’s worth asking them. 

Local newspapers have sales sections and classified ads. It’s worth checking local community boards as people often use them to advertise items for sale.

Some places to check online include: 
    Disabled Gear
    Disability Equipment Service
    The Mobility Market
    eBay Medical and Mobility  
    Facebook Marketplace 

Buying disability equipment online 
    If you’re buying online, make sure you use a secure payment method. If you do not recognise the platform you’re being asked to use, research it to find out if it’s safe and secure. Do not use it if you have doubts about it. 

If you’re using a credit or debit card, items costing over £100 and under £30,000 are covered under the Consumer Credit Act. This means the credit card company has equal responsibility with the seller if there are any problems with the items you’ve bought. 

Shopping and paying online (Money Advice Service)
    Consumer Credit Act (Money Advice Service
    Scope

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @mrswiggy!

I know how you are feeling. My son has mobility issues. But he seems fine with his wheelchair. There are two kinds of wheelchairs electric and manual wheelchairs. I did a great deal of research online prior to ordering his first ever wheelchair. I found this website a excellent starting point in narrowing down my options and knowing when, who and what to ask. 

There are many ways to buy a wheelchair. He also is a full time wheelchair user. For more than two years now he has been using a wheelchair when out and about. I also advise checking reviews and specifications of the wheelchair as well. For some more tips on wheelchairs, https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/wheelchairs/ and https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/care-services-equipment-and-care-homes/walking-aids-wheelchairs-and-mobility-scooters/

Have you contacted your local NHS trust or not? 

They might be able to help you find a wheelchair. Alternatively you can try to acquire a wheelchair privately. Do you have a physiotherapist? If so, I recommend talking to them about wheelchairs. For me personally, this company was immensely helpful. They answered many of my questions and gave me advice too. I hope this is useful! 

This is their website https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/wheelchairs/

Also visit a few different local mobility aid shops. Again they are a decent source of information and help on wheelchairs. Talk with the staff and ask for suggestions and tips on how to look after a wheelchair. Test drive a few different models. Make sure to ask questions. 

Brightness