Awaiting PIP Decision - HELP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Awaiting PIP Decision - HELP

booboo122
booboo122 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello, I applied for PIP on the 25th September 2019.

I had my face to face assessment on the 8th January 2020.
On the 9th of January I received the text to say the DWP had recieved my assessment and they will contact me with a decision within 6 weeks. 

It's been 10 days and I am going crazy with anxiety. My assessment went ok. The lady did say ' I seemed fine ' when speaking to her as I explained that new people are very scary and cause me to become incredibly anxious. Did she think I was just going to sit there and not speak to her ?! 

I had a panic attack before the assesment started and she showed me no empathy or even any emotion.

I suffer with anxiety, ptsd and depression. When I went to elaborate on my PTSD she told me to stop as she isnt qualified or trained with PTSD and she didnt want to open "a can of worms" and not be able to advise me. ????

I'm just going crazy waiting and I am so scared I will be rejected and have to go through it all again. I cannot gage whether the assessment went well or not.
Just when I think it did go okay, I remember something she said or that I said that makes me 2nd guess myself and it's makingme INSANE!!!

Any reassuring advice guys? And yes I know I can request a copy of my assessment but thatll only trigger me to overthink and worry more.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

That's only 10 days since your assessment and you can't really count weekends because DWP are closed on those days, so that time frame isn't long at all. It can take anything between 2-8 weeks, sometimes longer for a decision. Backlogs are just part of the reason a decision can be delayed.

All you can do is wait because no one can speculate anything at this point. Hopefully, you won't be waiting too long.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Rainbows43
    Rainbows43 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    edited January 2020
    It maybe a few weeks yet unfortunately. I submitted a change of circumstances at the end on july , had f2f 27th November & still waiting on a decision. They seem to have quite a backlog at the moment. 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello to all of you waiting for your PIP awards. Once you have had your assessment wait a week then contact DWP and request a copy of your assessment report and on receiving it you can work out what your award may should be but you still have to wait for the award notification letter. If the award is not what you expected then you can use the report to start  and get evidence to prepare for a MR and contest the descriptors you think you should of been awarded point giving examples of what happened or happens each time you attempt or try to preform the descriptor your contesting. Remember that the evidence you submit will have to be justified.
  • booboo122
    Okay so it seems nobody has listened to what I initially wrote.. yeah I know it takes a while. That wasnt my issue. My issue is how its affecting me. I was hoping for some positive stories and outcomes. 
  • booboo122
    wilko said:
    Hello to all of you waiting for your PIP awards. Once you have had your assessment wait a week then contact DWP and request a copy of your assessment report and on receiving it you can work out what your award may should be but you still have to wait for the award notification letter. If the award is not what you expected then you can use the report to start  and get evidence to prepare for a MR and contest the descriptors you think you should of been awarded point giving examples of what happened or happens each time you attempt or try to preform the descriptor your contesting. Remember that the evidence you submit will have to be justified.
    Like i said, I've heard of people requesting their assessment copy and it causing them even more anxiety and doubt. Which is not what I need. 
  • Rainbows43
    edited January 2020
    booboo122 said:
    Okay so it seems nobody has listened to what I initially wrote.. yeah I know it takes a while. That wasnt my issue. My issue is how its affecting me. I was hoping for some positive stories and outcomes. 
    Mine is a positive story :) Although I've not got the decision,  I couldn't wait and requested my report. Anxiety was through the roof & I heard so many stories on change of circumstances  claims going wrong. And I could prepare a MR if need be,  But It seems by the report it's gone in my favour,  which is a huge relief.  The assessor at the time seemed to be quite "stern" all of his questions were blunt and to the point I guess & worried afterwards what he had written about me . But I was shocked that the report was really fair. 

I'm sure you'll be fine , I totally understand how the wait feels. I found myself awake at night just re going over it all.  Especially after reading everyone else's stories x 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    booboo122 said:

I first claimed PIP is 2013, had a review 2 years later and never had any problems. My daughter first claimed in 2017 and had a review 1 year later, no problems there either.

Regardless of what anyone else says, it's not going to stop the stress and anxiety you're feeling while waiting for the decision. I found requesting the assessment report each time did help because it's rare for them to go against that report. As you've decided against requesting this, then all you can do is wait and try your best to think of something else, although that's very difficult, it won't make the decision come any quicker.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • booboo122
    booboo122 said:
    Mine is a positive story :) Although I've not got the decision,  I couldn't wait and requested my report. Anxiety was through the roof & I heard so many stories on change of circumstances  claims going wrong. And I could prepare a MR if need be,  But It seems by the report it's gone in my favour,  which is a huge relief.  The assessor at the time seemed to be quite "stern" all of his questions were blunt and to the point I guess & worried afterwards what he had written about me . But I was shocked that the report was really fair. 

I'm sure you'll be fine , I totally understand how the wait feels. I found myself awake at night just re going over it all.  Especially after reading everyone else's stories x 
    Thank you for your reassurance. I appreciate it and am thankful. I'm glad I'm not the only one staying up at night over it x
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Sorry to hear it's playing on your mind so much @booboo122. From a PIP standpoint there's nothing you can really do but wait for the outcome, which I understand is much easier said than done when you're dealing with anticipatory anxiety. Do you have any techniques you use when you're normally waiting for news that might be able to help?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • booboo122
    Someone keeps commenting "these people work for capita and dwp". But it keeps getting removed. I have nothing to hide even if they do work for the dwp.
  • Victor
    Victor Community member Posts: 634 Pioneering
    I had to fill in and return a "How Your disability affects you" form so they can reassess my PIP. I'm waiting....
  • Laborador
    Laborador Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
    Hi there, in terms of pip decisions, I had my assessment 10/12/19 so yesterday it was six weeks of waiting. I began by calling the citizens advice bureax, to see if they had any knowledge of local timescales etc. However, I ended up speaking to someone in Wales, so not local after all. I took a lorazepam and called the dwp, which I really didn't want to do to see if I could find anything out. My assessment hasn't even been looked at yet. The lady on the 'phone was trying to be nice, but also trying very hard not to give me any sort of timescale. In the end, she said it could be another three or four weeks, or longer. In order to manage my anxiety I have decided to tell myself that it is going to be at least another eight weeks and contact them then. I was informed they "have quite a backlog". I have looked all over the internet to find an accurate timescale relating to when pip decisions are divulged, but I always come up with the same dwp line about it being approximately twelve weeks from start to finish. I'd just like a realistic time scale, an honest answer.
    In terms of anxiety, I saw my doctor for some emergency meds, and accept that I have followed all their rules, filled out all their forms, and answered all their questions but now must sit behind the glass and soundproof wall, waiting until they speak to me. Some things are in our control, and some things, like dwp communications, are not. I have felt horribly anxious (as no doubt we all do at such times) but am trying to accept that I have done my part and can do no more. It's hard when we are trying to manage day by day, get by on the financial reduction imposed on me despite not having been cured! For now, it's self management and lean times, and manage my days carefully. The waiting is so tough, but setting an alarm in my diary and then forcing it from my mind as often as I can is all I can do, for now. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    booboo122 said:
    Someone keeps commenting "these people work for capita and dwp". But it keeps getting removed. I have nothing to hide even if they do work for the dwp.
    Hi @booboo122, unfortunately a member has been spamming the community with these posts and sending abusive messages to our members. They've all since been removed, but you might still have received the notifications for them and I'm sorry if they've bothered you.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @Laborador. The twelve week figure you've mentioned tends to be the average, but timescales can vary dramatically. Have you requested a copy of the assessment report?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Laborador
    Hi Adrian, I was going to, but got cut off before I could ask.
    I don't feel up to trying again today so I'll wait until I'm feeling less frazzled and then try again.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Labrador, that must have been frustrating! Please take your time and I hope you get the report soon. :)
    Scope

• Laborador
    Hi Chloe, thanks for your supportive words, I'm not much for social media, but found here whilst searching for answers. Its kind of you to respond. For so many folk it's such a stressful time. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem at all @Labrador! We're always around. :)
    Scope

• Martin2019
    Martin2019 Community member Posts: 33 Connected
    It seems to me everyone hasn’t slightly differing experiences I applied for PIP sept 19, assessment dec 19 decision mid January 20 and just sorting out my paperwork to send my Mandatory Reconsideration which when my partner called DWP about my PIP they said on receipt of MR current lead times for that isn’t 6-10 weeks. 
  • Rainbows43
    It seems to me everyone hasn’t slightly differing experiences I applied for PIP sept 19, assessment dec 19 decision mid January 20 and just sorting out my paperwork to send my Mandatory Reconsideration which when my partner called DWP about my PIP they said on receipt of MR current lead times for that isn’t 6-10 weeks. 

I'm still waiting , applied 12th august. Assessment  27th november. I did call yesterday & even they apologised saying it's now 8 weeks since assessment and he would contact the DM. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.