Benefits i need help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits i need help

Wendyg99
Wendyg99 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi i was diagnosed with heart failure 8 years ago.was awarded pip mobility enhanced 3 years ago. I have been able to work because my boss allowed me to work from home 16 hours a week. I have been finding it hard as now I have non stop coughing and shortness of breath and my work is on phone.. Anyway he's told me the company is going bust next week. I am claiming wtc with disability element and ctc. I have been trying to find out which benefits i should claim now it's so confusing. Would appreciate some help.. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope.

More information is needed to be able to help you further. Do you claim housing benefit, do you also live with a partner that works? and finally is it just the mobility award of PIP you have or do you have the daily living part as well?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Wendyg99
    Hi I'm claiming housing benefit single parent have applied for daily living pip waiting for the result. 
  • poppy123456
    Thanks for that. Was the a change of circumstances reported or a Mandatory Reconsideration/Tribunal?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Wendyg99
    ?? Im asking about what is benefit o should apply for. Nothing to do with pip 
  • poppy123456
    The reason i'm asking is because without this information it's not possible to give you the correct advice. For this reason i'd advise you to visit a local advice agency near you for a full benefits check, this way you'll be able to give them all your details and they'll be able to advise you correctly.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Wendyg99. I believe the reason Poppy was asking about PIP is to determine whether you'd be entitled to SDP as this would drastically change your course of action regarding which benefits to claim.

Are you looking to return to employment? This will also affect what benefits you could or should claim at this time. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Wendyg99
    Hi no i only could work because as my health got worse my boss adapted my job so i could work from home. I already receive pip mobility have done for 3 years so a few weeks ago I applied for pip daily living still waiting for the outcome. 
  • poppy123456
    New Style ESA maybe possible once you've finished work if you've paid enough of NI Contributions from working in the tax years April 2017 to March 2019. You will need a fit note from your GP to be able to claim this and it pays £73.10 per week.

You will need to report the change to HMRC when your job ends and your tax credits will be reduced. Your CTC and housing benefit (if you receive it) will continue if you claim New Style ESA. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance

If you haven't paid enough NI Contributions in the last 2 tax years then it will have to be Universal Credit that you claim. As this is a means tested benefit then claiming it will depend on your circumstances. Any savings/capital you have over £6,000 but under £16,000 then your UC will be reduced by £4.35 per month for every £250 over £6,000. Anything £16,000 and over and you won't be entitled to claim it.  If you live with a partner then you will need to claim as a couple. You will also need a fit note from your GP to be able to claim limited capability for work.

If you claim UC then your tax credits will stop. If you claim housing benefit this will continue for 2 weeks then stop. Then they will both be paid in with your UC monthly payment.

Do be aware that if you claim UC before you receive your final pay from work then any wages you receive once you've claimed UC  will reduce the amount of UC you will be entitled to for that month. UC is a monthly benefit and there's a 5 week wait for your first payment.
    See link for information about limited capability for work. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Universal_Credit_Work_Capability_Assessment

Council tax reduction and child benefit are not part of UC. Your PIP will continue to be paid as normal.

For UC purposes then you could put all of your details into a benefits calculator and it will tell you what could claim.

• Wendyg99
    Thank you for your help you have made it easy to understand. ?
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome, sorry about all the questions to start with but it's important to know all the details before giving any advise. If you have any further questions when you do claim either of the benefits then please just ask.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.